What's the purpose of havin large tyres in cars

• Thread starter rahulpark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary: They're like a sling shot when you launch the car.In summary, large tires on cars are not just for looks, but also serve practical purposes such as increasing contact patch, reducing tire/bearing/drivetrain speeds, and providing a smoother ride. However, different tire sizes have different effects on handling and drag, so it ultimately depends on the intended use of the vehicle.
rahulpark
I've seen that in movies,cars with large tires . What's the purpose of this. Is it used for increasing the speed or the Torque ? With bigger tyres,I found analytically that both parameter would be increased. But would that not violate conservation of energy.
Please point my mistake and furnish me with knowledge.

Engineering news on Phys.org
They look cool.

no Brews...some people think they look cool...:tongue:

Haha good shout, I'll give you that one. My Seven has 13" wheels and looks awesome!

My Toyota truck here in Brasil has 16 inch wheels. They help me pass over rocks, small trees, and through streams where there are no roads at all! If the tires were smaller my truck would likely often get stuck.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Aside from looks, a larger contact patch, lower tire/bearing/drivetrain speeds for the same mph/kph, and the added value of a ride usually reserved for fine dump trucks or hay wagons.

rahulpark said:
I've seen that in movies,cars with large tires . What's the purpose of this. Is it used for increasing the speed or the Torque ? With bigger tyres,I found analytically that both parameter would be increased. But would that not violate conservation of energy.
Please point my mistake and furnish me with knowledge.

I'm assuming you're talking about large diameter wheel/low profile tire setups seen on most sports cars and even some old muscle cars these days.

Smaller tire sidewalls increase the handling characteristics of the vehicle i.e. the side walls won't flex as much disallowing the vehicle to wobble. The expense of that is you get a rougher ride.

For a drag car, you want nice tall sloppy sidewalls.

1. What is the purpose of having large tyres in cars?

The purpose of having large tyres in cars is to provide better stability and handling, especially in off-road or challenging driving conditions. They also help to improve traction and grip on the road, which can result in better acceleration and braking.

2. Do large tyres improve the performance of a car?

Yes, large tyres can improve the performance of a car in several ways. They can provide better traction and grip, which can result in improved acceleration and braking. They also help to absorb shock and vibrations, resulting in a smoother ride for the driver and passengers.

3. How do large tyres affect fuel efficiency?

Large tyres can have a negative impact on fuel efficiency. The larger size and weight of the tyres can increase the rolling resistance, requiring more energy from the engine to move the car. This can result in decreased fuel efficiency and higher fuel consumption.

4. Are large tyres only beneficial for off-road driving?

No, large tyres can also be beneficial for on-road driving. They can provide better stability and handling, which can improve the overall driving experience. However, they are most commonly used for off-road driving, as they can better handle rough terrain and obstacles.

5. Do all cars need large tyres?

No, not all cars need large tyres. The size and type of tyres required for a car depend on several factors, including the weight of the car, the type of driving, and the terrain. Some cars may benefit from having larger tyres, while others may not see a significant difference in performance.