Register to reply

How to check algebraic long division?

by Tyrion101
Tags: algebraic, check, division
Share this thread:
Tyrion101
Jul11-13, 02:23 PM
P: 147
My errors all involve multiplying numbers that look the same, for instance if there is a 2 that I'm supposed to multiply by a 2a I'll put 2 a, and not think about it till I see I got the answer wrong. Is there a way I can do something to the answer to see if it is right before I submit it?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
economicsnerd
Jul11-13, 02:38 PM
P: 228
Division is just multiplication backward. Multiplication is usually much easier and less error-prone. If I understand correctly, you're asking: "If I try to compute f/g and get answer h, how do I check whether it's correct?" If that's the question, then a quick check is to compute g*h and see whether you get f.
symbolipoint
Jul11-13, 02:41 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,794
Quote Quote by Tyrion101 View Post
My errors all involve multiplying numbers that look the same, for instance if there is a 2 that I'm supposed to multiply by a 2a I'll put 2 a, and not think about it till I see I got the answer wrong.
Multiplying the individual terms requires a little bit of conscious focus. One must watch what one is doing.

Is there a way I can do something to the answer to see if it is right before I submit it?
Yes. Multiply the resulting quotient by the divisor. When you simplify this multiplication, to general form, it must match the dividend.

Tyrion101
Jul11-13, 02:41 PM
P: 147
How to check algebraic long division?

Don't know why it didn't occur to me, but that makes sense. Thanks.

Register to reply