How can I prevent breakdown in my electrostatic generator's output wires?

In summary, the speaker is looking to create a high-voltage, low current source with multiple output wires for attracting tiny pieces of paper. They are suggested to look into a Van De Graaff generator or a Kelvin water dropper, but are warned about the potential for breakdown if attaching a wire to the generator.
emmettal
I'd like to create a high-voltage, low current source having multiple output wires each capable of attracting tiny pieces of paper. What kind of solutions should I look into?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Look up "van der graaf generator".

Seems the old-school way is the best, right.
BTW do you think it's worth bothering finding a capacitor capable of storing the charge generated by v. d. Graaf generator or it's a hopeless task?

Last edited:
Why do you need multiple output wires?
Anyway, you could also try some kind of friction machine or - if you want an electronic device - an air ionizer.

Van De Graaff generators are easy ways to generate high voltages with practically no current. If you have the financial means you can easily generate one million or more volts with a VDG generator. It's basically static electricity generated from friction that is transported to a large metal sphere where it is stored.

emmettal said:
I'd like to create a high-voltage, low current source having multiple output wires each capable of attracting tiny pieces of paper. What kind of solutions should I look into?
Look up Kelvin water dropper. Have fun!

emmettal said:
... having multiple output wires ...

Be aware that electrostatic generators, like Van De Graaff, are able to hold very high voltage without breakdown thanks to their shape: smooth and round. Breakdown is inversely proportional to the local radius of curvature of the conductor (assuming we are dealing with bare conductor in air).

If you attach a wire your Van De Graaff sphere, you will drain off most of the charge.
If you turn off the lights, you will be able to observe the corona discharge occurring at the tip of the wire.

1. What is an electrostatic generator?

An electrostatic generator is a device that uses mechanical energy to create static electricity, typically through the process of friction or induction. It is commonly used in scientific experiments and demonstrations to generate high voltages.

2. How does an electrostatic generator work?

An electrostatic generator works by transferring electrons from one material to another, creating a buildup of static electricity. This is typically achieved through the use of spinning disks or belts made of different materials, such as rubber and metal. The friction between these materials causes electrons to be transferred, creating a charge imbalance and resulting in a voltage difference.

3. What are some common types of electrostatic generators?

Some common types of electrostatic generators include Van de Graaff generators, Wimshurst machines, and friction machines. Each type works in a slightly different way, but all use mechanical energy to create static electricity.

4. What are the applications of electrostatic generators?

Electrostatic generators have various applications in both scientific research and everyday life. They can be used to power electronic devices, generate x-rays for medical imaging, and even remove dust and dirt from surfaces through the use of electrostatic precipitators.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using electrostatic generators?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using electrostatic generators, especially when dealing with high voltages. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and use protective equipment when handling these devices. Additionally, care should be taken to prevent sparks and shocks, which can be harmful to both the equipment and the user.