Outlook default browser FF vs. IE

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, clicking URLs in Outlook express open into Firefox automatically; I want them to open in IE by default. I haven't found it.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Clicked URLs in Outlook express open into Firefox automatically; I want them to open in IE by default. Anyone know where the Outlook setting is for this? I haven't found it.

Yeah yeah, I know - why would you want to switch from IE to FF? Call it Mother Goose Syndrome - imprinting.

Oh, FF does one really annoying thing that IE doesn't do. New window in FF opens to my start page, not the page I was just looking at. (What a dumb feature! I'm opening a new window becasue I want to branch my browsing, not because I want to start again from scratch!) Or is there a setting to fix this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't know about the default setting. Why aren't you using Thunderbird?

There is an extension available that does what you want. I forgot what it was called, but if you look through the tab browsing section they should have it.

There is always a way to change firefox to do what you want it to do.

You can look for an extension, or you can go to forums.mozillazine.org and post your question. There may be a way to do it without using an extension.

I am sort of unsure why you would want to open a new window in firefox, do you have that many tabs open, or is there another reason? Personally I very very rarely have more than one firefox window open.

DaveC426913 said:
Oh, FF does one really annoying thing that IE doesn't do. New window in FF opens to my start page, not the page I was just looking at. (What a dumb feature! I'm opening a new window becasue I want to branch my browsing, not because I want to start again from scratch!) Or is there a setting to fix this?

clicking the mousewheel on a link opens that link in a new tab. easy way to branch? maybe I'm mistaking the problem, dunno. and yeah i think if you don't want to use tabs but new windows then there is a feature, forums should help

mattmns said:
I am sort of unsure why you would want to open a new window in firefox, do you have that many tabs open, or is there another reason?
Because I didn't know what tabs were until just now.

dduardo said:
I don't know about the default setting. Why aren't you using Thunderbird?
What is Thunderbird?

DaveC426913 said:
Because I didn't know what tabs were until just now.
Ohh man, you were missing out on one of the greatest features!

You should read some tutorials on firefox to make sure you are getting the most out of it.

Here is one: http://opensourcearticles.com/articles/firefox_15/english/part_01

You have already installed firefox so you can probably skip to the second page.

thunderbird is good, but.. well, I'm going to go ahead and say it. outlook express is better. it is. and I'm a big mozilla supporter. thunderbird will get bigger, but just because its mozilla doesn't mean its automatically amazing

What is the difference between using Firefox and Internet Explorer as my default browser in Outlook?

The main difference is in the user interface and features. Firefox is known for its customizable options and add-ons, while Internet Explorer is more streamlined. In terms of security, Firefox is considered to be more secure than Internet Explorer.

Can I change my default browser in Outlook from Firefox to Internet Explorer?

Yes, you can change your default browser in Outlook by going to the "Default Apps" settings in your computer's Control Panel. From there, you can select Internet Explorer as your default browser and it will be reflected in Outlook.

Will changing my default browser in Outlook affect my browsing experience in other applications?

No, changing your default browser in Outlook will only affect your browsing experience within the Outlook application. Your default browser for other applications will remain the same.

Are there any compatibility issues between Firefox and Outlook?

There may be some compatibility issues between Firefox and Outlook, especially when it comes to certain add-ons or plugins. It is recommended to check for any updates or known issues before using Firefox as your default browser in Outlook.

Is there a performance difference between using Firefox or Internet Explorer as my default browser in Outlook?

The performance difference may vary depending on your computer's specs and the versions of Firefox and Internet Explorer you are using. Generally, there shouldn't be a significant difference in performance between the two browsers in Outlook.