Meaning and derivation of probability

In summary: I wouldn't presume to say anything definitive.In summary, probability is the limit of the relative frequency of events as the sample size gets larger. There is a mathematical theory and an interpretation of said theory, but there is no thorough algebriac way to prove that the fraction calculated through the "theoretical probability" method is in fact the number which the relative frequency will converge to as the sample size gets larger. Additionally, it is possible to calculate the value which the limit of relative frequency will take, but this can only be obtained through repeated experiment.
SudanBlack
Hi,
I have recently been thinking about the fundamental meaning of the term probability, so I decide to discuss the topic with my tutor. He told me that the true definition of the probability of x occurring, P(x), is:

P(x) = Lim(Relative frequency of x in experiments) as n tends to infinity, where n = the sample size.

However, I have read many mathemetics textbooks which talk about "experimental probabilities" and "theoretical probabilities" - they refer to the definition I have previously mentioned as "experimental probabilities". "Theoretical probabilities" are apparently defined as follows:

P(x) = (Number of ways event can occur)/(Total number of events which can occur)

I wish to know if there is any thorough algebriac way to proove that the fraction calculated through the "theoretical probability" method is infact the number which the relative frequency will converge to as the sample size gets ever larger?

Also, I was curious as to what we would call the probability of any event for which the limit of the relative frequency does not converge?

Finally, is it possible to calculate the value which the limit of relative frequency will take, or can this only be obtained through repeat experiment?

Many thanks - eagerly awaiting replies. :smile:
Simon.

Physics news on Phys.org
However, I have read many mathemetics textbooks which talk about "experimental probabilities" and "theoretical probabilities" - they refer to the definition I have previously mentioned as "experimental probabilities". "Theoretical probabilities" are apparently defined as follows:

P(x) = (Number of ways event can occur)/(Total number of events which can occur)
That's not accurate -- this is only the probability if we assume a uniform distribution on the events.

There are two big issues here:

(1) Probability theory
(2) Statistical physics

Probability theory is a mathematical subject in its own right, and it takes a little bit of machinery to start doing things rigorously.

On the other hand, the use of statistics in physics requires some initial assumptions about things... and I expect that this issue is the heart of your question, so I'm going to move it over to the physics section to encourage them to take a crack at it.

P(x) = (Number of ways event x can occur)/(Total number of EQUALLY LIKELY events which can occur)
I wish to know if there is any thorough algebriac way to proove that the fraction calculated through the "theoretical probability" method is infact the number which the relative frequency will converge to as the sample size gets ever larger?
My guess is there isn't because any algebraic proof necessarily belongs to the theory domain.
Also, I was curious as to what we would call the probability of any event for which the limit of the relative frequency does not converge?
Degenerate?
Finally, is it possible to calculate the value which the limit of relative frequency will take, or can this only be obtained through repeat experiment?
You can calculate it under certain (theoretical) assumptions, then perform repeated experiments to test whether these assumptions were justified.

Last edited:
The probability theory is very nice logically consistent theory. The
hallmark of the theory is the notion of (statistical) independence.
It is very essential that for each problem in the framework of the
probability theory the initial (probability) measure is specified.

But in the physical statement of probabilistic problems we face some
fundamental difficulties (See, please, http://groups.google.com.ua/group/s...f4135cd854d0?hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&q=kosovtsov&pli=1).

Yeah, as people have said, it's worth disentangling two separate things:

1. The mathematical 'theory of probability'
2. The interpretation of said theory

The first (usually) refers to the consistent mathematical theory described by the Kolmogorov axioms. Other mathematical setups have been suggested (often in response to the philosophical issues - see below), but the Kolmogorov theory is the orthodox one.

The second is an extremely vexed philosophical question (see http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/probability-interpret/). Your tutor's claim that probability is the limiting frequency of an infinite sequence of measurements is one theory, but others abound, and there isn't really any widespread philosophical consensus. The idea of probability as the ratio of occurring events to possible events is the classical interpretation - it has the advantage of explaining the similarity of probability theory to other branches of measure theory (the theory of proportions, ratios etc); but as EnumaElish says, it requires that those events be equally probable, and you might wonder whether an account of equiprobability can be given that does not invoke probability (which would make the whole thing a circular explanation). For what it's worth, I'm inclined towards a kind of semi-classical interpretation of probability as ratios of 'volumes' in configuration space - the equiprobability of points in configuration space could perhaps be justified by noting the symmetries of such a space.

I agree with lotm. This is, philosophically speaking, a controversial subject area. However, the orthodox mathematical theory -- and, indeed, the one I know best -- is that described by the Kolmogorov axioms.

1. What is the meaning of probability?

Probability refers to the likelihood of an event occurring. It is a numerical representation of the chance that a particular outcome will happen.

2. How is probability derived?

Probability is derived from the ratio of the number of favorable outcomes to the total number of possible outcomes in a given situation. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas and statistical methods.

3. What are the different types of probability?

There are three main types of probability: theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations, experimental probability is based on actual data from experiments, and subjective probability is based on personal beliefs or opinions.

4. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as weather forecasting, risk assessment, and sports betting. It helps us make informed decisions and predictions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes.

5. Can probability be 100% certain?

In theory, probability can be 100% certain, meaning that the event is guaranteed to happen. However, in practical situations, there is always a small margin of error, so probability can never be truly certain.