Electric Charge on a uniformly charged disk

In summary, we have a uniformly charged disk with a radius of 2.5 cm and a total charge of 4*10^-12C. To find the electric field on the x-axis at a distance of 20cm, we use the equation Ex = (sigma/ (2*Eo)) * (1 - (1/sqrt((R^2/x^2)+1))). By plugging in the values, we get an answer of 0.89 N/C. The term sigma represents the surface charge density, which is equal to the total charge divided by the total area. This can also be verified through dimensional analysis.
aquabug918
Last question I promise,,,,

A uniformly charged disk has a radius of 2.5 cm and carries a total charge of 4*10^-12C.

Find the electric field on the x-axis at a distance of 20cm away.

I used the equation:

Ex = (sigma/ (2*Eo)) * (1 - ( 1/ sqrt( ( R^2/x^2) + 1))

this is what i did so far

Ex = (sigma/ (2*8.85*10^-12)*(1 - ( 1/ sqrt( ( 0.025m^2/0.002m^2)-1)

I am not sure how to calculate sigma in this case. I am guessing that it is the total charge dived by the area. But, i think i am missing something.

The answer is 0.89 N/C

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
No you are not missing anything. [itex]\sigma[/itex] is indeed the surface charge density and is equal to the total charge divided by the total area.

You could have verified this by dimensional analysis too. The expression really isn't as complicated as it seems.

I would like to point out that the equation you have used is the correct one to calculate the electric field on the x-axis at a distance of 20cm away from a uniformly charged disk. However, as you have correctly mentioned, the value of sigma needs to be calculated correctly in order to get the correct answer.

In this case, sigma represents the surface charge density, which is defined as the total charge divided by the area. So, in order to calculate sigma, we need to divide the total charge (4*10^-12 C) by the area of the disk, which is given by pi*r^2 (where r is the radius of the disk).

So, sigma = (4*10^-12 C) / (pi*(0.025 m)^2) = 0.0016 C/m^2

Now, substituting this value for sigma in the equation, we get:

Ex = (0.0016 C/m^2) / (2*8.85*10^-12) * (1 - (1 / sqrt((0.025 m^2 / 0.002 m^2) + 1)) = 0.89 N/C

Therefore, the electric field on the x-axis at a distance of 20cm away from the uniformly charged disk is 0.89 N/C.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. It is important to always use the correct value for sigma in order to get accurate results in calculations involving electric fields. Thank you for your question.

1. What is electric charge on a uniformly charged disk?

Electric charge on a uniformly charged disk refers to the distribution of electric charge on a disk-shaped object that is evenly spread out over its surface. This charge can be either positive or negative and is measured in Coulombs (C).

2. How is the electric charge distributed on a uniformly charged disk?

The electric charge on a uniformly charged disk is distributed in such a way that the electric field is constant at all points on the disk's surface. This means that the charge density (the amount of charge per unit area) is the same everywhere on the disk.

3. What is the formula for calculating the electric field of a uniformly charged disk?

The electric field of a uniformly charged disk can be calculated using the formula E = (σ/2ε0) * (1 - (z/√(R2+z2))), where σ is the charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, z is the distance from the center of the disk, and R is the radius of the disk.

4. How does the electric field on a uniformly charged disk vary with distance?

The electric field on a uniformly charged disk decreases as the distance from the center of the disk increases. This is because the inverse square law states that the strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of the field.

5. Can a uniformly charged disk have a net charge of zero?

Yes, a uniformly charged disk can have a net charge of zero if the amount of positive charge is equal to the amount of negative charge. This would result in the cancellation of the electric field, making the disk neutral overall.