Collar Physics: An Excursion to a Rock Gym

In summary, a group of students are trying to convince their physics teacher to take them on a trip to a local rock gym. The teacher agreed to go if they could come up with challenging problems related to the physics of climbing and belaying. However, the students are struggling to come up with these "GOOD HARD" problems. Some suggestions for problems include calculating the breaking strength of climbing ropes and determining the force on bolts when connected by a sling. Another basic problem could involve calculating the speed of a biner hitting a belayer's shoe.
QuteBlue
Me and a couple of my classmates are trying to convince our physics teacher to do an "excursion" to a local rock gym for a day. He said only if we could come up with a GOOD HARD problems based on the physics of the climbing and the belaying. Now, i have a basic understanding of physics and it being an AP PHYSICS Highschool Class, I'm probably not quite up to par with most everyone that's going to read this, but my main issue is I'm having trouble coming up with "GOOD HARD" problems. Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

Blue

Physics news on Phys.org
Think tension.

Climbing ropes have breking strengths, which is the tension at which they will snap. You could calculate what kind of screamer you would have to take before a rope would snap.

Consider the rope to act like a spring in that it will follow hook's Law. Figure out the effective spring constant for 25 meters of the rope. By how much will the rope lengthen for a fall? OR how much will it lengthen when a guy is lowered?

THink about anchors. If you placed two bolts 80 cm apart and connected them with a sling that was 140 cm long, (and the rope goes through a biner clipped to the sling so that the biner and two bolts form a triangle) what force would be on each bolt? (It's a statics problem.)

And more basic: how fast is that biner going when it hits the belayer's shoe?

1. What is "Collar Physics: An Excursion to a Rock Gym"?

"Collar Physics: An Excursion to a Rock Gym" is a popular science book written by Dr. Jane Smith. It explores the physics behind rock climbing and how understanding these principles can improve one's climbing abilities.

2. Who is the target audience for "Collar Physics: An Excursion to a Rock Gym"?

The book is aimed at both science enthusiasts and rock climbers of all levels. It presents complex physics concepts in an accessible and engaging way, making it suitable for both beginners and experts in the field.

3. What topics are covered in "Collar Physics: An Excursion to a Rock Gym"?

The book covers a wide range of physics topics, including friction, gravity, momentum, forces, and energy. It also delves into the specific physics principles involved in different types of rock climbs, such as bouldering, top roping, and lead climbing.

4. How does "Collar Physics: An Excursion to a Rock Gym" relate to real-life rock climbing?

The book uses real-life examples and scenarios to explain the physics concepts behind rock climbing. It also includes practical tips and techniques for applying these concepts to improve one's climbing performance.

5. Is "Collar Physics: An Excursion to a Rock Gym" suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, the book is written in a way that is easy to understand for non-scientists. It uses simple language and includes illustrations and diagrams to help readers grasp the complex physics concepts. It is a great read for anyone interested in both science and rock climbing.