ATV Design & Calculations with 3.2cc IC Engine

In summary, the factors that affect power delivered and the speed of an ATV include the engine displacement, the weight of the engine and accessories, the terrain the engine will be used in, and the speed limit set for the vehicle.
banerjeerupak
I am required to design an ATV with the use of a 3.2 cc IC engine. Can you tell me the factors affecting the power delivered and the speed of the ATV. How should i go about the calculations.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Almost anything that you can think of is a contributing factor. Can you be a bit more specific?

Second that...

banerjeerupak said:
I am required to design an ATV with the use of a 3.2 cc IC engine. Can you tell me the factors affecting the power delivered and the speed of the ATV. How should i go about the calculations.
Danger and brewnog are correct, but let me see if I can amplify on their responses...

All engineering designs begin (and end!) with "good" and complete requirements. This is the primary domain of the systems engineer. The systems engineer takes the customer's needs and constraints and develops detailed design requirements based on those needs. They also will maintain the network of connectivities for how all derived design requirements serve to meet the customer's needs and constraints (directly or indirectly), as well as meeting requirements from other sources (such as engineering design standards, civil/military certification requirements, environmental requirements, etc.)

For your project you need to develop the requirements more beyond what you were given before you can understand what design approaches will work and which will not. The systems engineer does this by asking questions about the eventual operational needs of the end-system. In this case, I would ask questions like:

1) Is this is a single-rider ATV? If not, how many people is it expected to carry?
2) Will the ATV be required to tow any additional loads, and if so how much do those loads weigh? (This will help derive minimum torque required to move the total load)
3) What surface terrain environments must the ATV be capable of operating on/in? (Maximum grades it has to climb or descend, composition of the soil, depth of mud it must be able to traverse, etc.)
4) Is there a minimum speed that the ATV must be capable of achieving? (The answer to this, and its quantification will help set several other design requirements).
5) Does the ATV have to be certifiable to government standards?

and on and on and on...
Rainman

banerjeerupak said:

What kind of ATV are we talking about here? I have heard of RC cars with bigger engine diplacements than that... Perhaps your units are incorrectly stated? Or maybe this is not meant to carry people?

Perhaps you meant 3.2 in^3, which would be about 50 cc?

1. What is an ATV?

An ATV (All-Terrain Vehicle) is a small, off-road vehicle designed for recreational or utility use. It typically has four wheels and is powered by an internal combustion engine.

2. What is the purpose of design and calculations in ATV design?

Design and calculations are crucial in ATV design as they ensure that the vehicle meets safety, performance, and efficiency standards. They help determine the optimal size, weight, and placement of components such as the engine, suspension, and wheels to achieve the desired performance and handling.

3. What is a 3.2cc IC engine?

A 3.2cc IC (Internal Combustion) engine is a type of combustion engine that uses a mixture of fuel and air to generate power. The 3.2cc refers to the engine's displacement, which is the volume of the air-fuel mixture that can be combusted in one cycle. It is a small engine commonly used in ATVs due to its compact size and lightweight nature.

4. How are calculations used in ATV design?

Calculations are used in ATV design to determine the vehicle's performance metrics such as power, torque, and top speed. They also help in selecting the appropriate gear ratios, tire size, and suspension settings for optimal performance. Additionally, calculations are used to ensure that the ATV can safely handle the weight and stress of the rider and cargo.

5. What factors are considered in ATV design and calculations?

Several factors are considered in ATV design and calculations, such as the vehicle's intended use, terrain, and rider's weight. The engine's power output and torque, along with the vehicle's weight, aerodynamics, and gearing, are also significant factors. Additionally, safety standards, cost, and manufacturing feasibility are taken into account during the design and calculation process.