One more elementary question, on square roots

In summary, the discussion is about proving that the sum of square roots of rational numbers that are not the squares of other rational numbers is irrational. The proof for n=2 is straightforward, but the case for n=3 is unclear and there is a counterexample provided. It is suggested to show that if the sum of two irrational numbers is rational, then their difference is also rational, which would lead to the desired result.
xalvyn
Hi all,

is there a general way of proving that

sqrt(r1) + sqrt(r2) + sqrt(r3) + ... + sqrt(rn) is irrational, given that none of r1, r2, r3, ..., rn is the square of a rational number?

(or is this statement even true in general?)

for the case when n = 2, the proof is quite straight-forward; i think it can be found in most elementary textbooks.

Letting sqrt(a) + sqrt(b) = r, where r is rational, we have

sqrt(a) - sqrt(b) = (a - b) / r = q, where q is rational.

Therefore adding the two equations and halving the result gives

sqrt(a) = 1/2(r + q), which is rational, contradicting our hypothesis.

i tried to extend this proof to the case n = 3, although my proof is quite clumsy and I'm not sure whether it's correct.

however, i am interested to know whether it is true for all n, and if so how it can be proved. thanks for sharing :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your proof, so let me form a 'counterexample'. Please explain what I misunderstand that allows this.

Take 2 and [itex]6-4\sqrt2[/itex]. The former is clearly not the square of a rational; the latter is the square of 2-sqrt(2) and as such not the square of a rational. Clearly, though,

[tex]\sqrt2+\sqrt{6-4\sqrt2}=\sqrt2+\left(2-\sqrt2\right)=2[/tex]

is rational. What condition did I miss?

Last edited:
CRGreathouse:
I believe r1...rn are meant to be RATIONAL numbers.

It is sufficient to prove that if r1 and r2 are rational numbers that are not the squares of rational numbers (so that [itex]\sqrt{r_1}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{r_2}[/itex] are irrational, then [itex]\sqrt{r_1}+ \sqrt{r_2}[/itex] is irrational). That's "non-trivial" since the sum of two irrational numbers may be rational. You should be able to show that if [itex]\sqrt{r_1}+ \sqrt{r_2}[/itex] is rational then so is [itex]\sqrt{r_1}- \sqrt{r_2}[/itex]. From that the result follows easily.

1. What is a square root?

A square root is a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5 because 5 x 5 = 25.

2. How do I find the square root of a number?

The most common method is to use a calculator. You can also use a square root table or long division to find the square root of a number.

3. What is the difference between a perfect square and a non-perfect square?

A perfect square is a number that has an exact square root, such as 25 or 49. Non-perfect squares have square roots that are decimal numbers, such as the square root of 2 or 3.

4. Can negative numbers have square roots?

Yes, negative numbers can have square roots. However, the square root of a negative number is not a real number and is represented by the imaginary number "i". For example, the square root of -9 is 3i.

5. Why are square roots important?

Square roots are important in many mathematical concepts and real-life applications. They are used in algebra, geometry, and physics, and can help solve equations and find missing values in geometric shapes. Understanding square roots can also help in financial planning and calculating interest rates.