Zener diode-finding Resistor value

In summary, the conversation is about designing a 7.5V zener regulator circuit using a 7.5 zener specified at 12 mA. There is confusion about finding the value of a bias resistor in the circuit, with one person getting an answer of 225 ohms and the other getting a different value. They are both trying to understand the calculations and factors involved.
jlucas134
Need some help finding the value of the input Resister...

Design a 7.5V zener regulator circuit using a 7.5 zener specified at 12 mA. The zener has an incremental resistance of 30 ohms and knee current of .5 mA. The regulator operates from a 10 V supply and has a 1.2 k-ohm load. What is the value of R.

I figured the value of Vznot to be 7.14 from the following equation

Vz=Vznot-Iz*rz

The answer is 225 ohms, but I don't understand how that can be...

I know you have to subtract the diode voltage from the 10 v supply, then divide by the total current, but I can't see to find the correct value of the total current.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get the 225 Ohm answer either. If the 7.5V zener has 12mA going down through it, and the 1.2k Ohm load resistor next to it has an additional 7.5V / 1.2k Ohm current going through it, then the sum of those currents has to be coming down from the bias resistor, which has 2.5V across it. I get something more like in the 130 Ohm range (not exact). I wonder what we're missing...

At least I'm not the only one that is confused why its 225...I'll keep digging...

What is a Zener diode?

A Zener diode is a type of diode that allows current to flow in both directions, but also has a specific breakdown voltage at which it begins to conduct significantly in the reverse direction.

Why is a Zener diode used in circuit design?

Zener diodes are commonly used in circuit design to regulate voltage and protect electronic components from voltage spikes or overvoltage conditions.

How do you determine the value of the resistor needed for a Zener diode?

The value of the resistor needed for a Zener diode can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R = (Vsupply - Vzener) / Izener) or by using a Zener diode voltage regulator calculator.

What happens if the resistor value is too low for a Zener diode?

If the resistor value is too low for a Zener diode, the diode will not be able to regulate the voltage effectively and may become damaged from excessive current flow.

Can a Zener diode be used as a regular diode?

Technically, yes, a Zener diode can be used as a regular diode. However, regular diodes are typically much cheaper and more efficient for simple circuit design, so it is not common to use a Zener diode in place of a regular diode.