Microsoft Excel Help - Sum a Series Function

• Thread starter conquertheworld5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, the conversation is about a complicated function that needs to be summed using a specific formula. The speaker is struggling to find a suitable summation function and asks for help. Another person suggests using a spreadsheet, but the original speaker expresses their dislike for it and recommends using a different tool like Matlab instead.
conquertheworld5
this is rather embarrassing, but it's late, i have a headache and can't figure this out.

so i have this complicated function i need to sum (not sum as in add up - sum as in sum a series).
my formula that needs to be summed:
(2/(n*pi))*sin(n*pi*z/L)*e^(-(n^2)*pi*pi*k*t/(L^2))

pi, z, L, k, t are constants, i want sum n from 1 to 10... i looked through all the "sum" functions but i couldn't find a summation in which i could enter a function to be summed.

help?
Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Set the first column to the numbers 1 thru 10, then in the second column, set up your formulas for each n and sum down the column.

So, I was waiting for somebody to say it... :)

In my opinion, spreadsheet is a braindead tool for any computation past what you'd jot on a piece of paper in a grocery store. If one doesn't intend to compute anything more complicated than that in the nearby future, spreadsheet might be a reasonable way to go.

Otherwise, I recommend switching to a tool that could support exactly what OP originally had in mind (passing one function to another), and, say, doesn't require more than flicking one number in order to increase or decrease the number of terms in the summation. Which would be just about any tool, e.g. the ubiquitous Matlab.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

1. How do I use the SUM function in Excel to add a series of numbers?

To use the SUM function, you can either type "=SUM(" and then select the cells you want to add, or you can manually type the cell references, separated by commas, inside the parentheses. For example, "=SUM(A1:A5)" will sum the values in cells A1 to A5.

2. Can the SUM function in Excel handle non-numeric values?

No, the SUM function can only add numeric values. If you try to add cells with non-numeric values, such as text or blank cells, the function will return an error.

3. How do I add a range of cells with the SUM function in Excel?

To add a range of cells, simply type the starting and ending cell references separated by a colon. For example, "=SUM(A1:C1)" will add the values in cells A1, B1, and C1.

4. Can I use the SUM function in Excel to add cells from different sheets or workbooks?

Yes, you can use the SUM function to add cells from different sheets or workbooks. Just make sure to include the sheet or workbook name before the cell references, separated by an exclamation mark. For example, "=SUM(Sheet2!A1:A5)" will add the values in cells A1 to A5 from Sheet2.

5. Is there a shortcut to use the SUM function in Excel?

Yes, you can use the AutoSum button in the Editing group on the Home tab to quickly add a range of cells. Simply click on the cell where you want the sum to appear, and then click on the AutoSum button. Excel will automatically add the cells above or to the left of the selected cell.