A.D. 2000 as seen from 1966

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the futurists predict that by 2000, the U.S. population will have risen to about 330 million, and nine out of ten Americans will be living in supercities or their suburbs. Cities, like industry, will tend to decentralize; with instant communications, it will no longer be necessary for business enterprises to cluster together. But they also predict that by 2000, a permanent lunar base will have been established, and men will have flown past Venus and landed on Mars.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...None of the forecasters seem to have any good solution for the traffic problem, though they count on automated, and possibly underground, highways. McLuhan and others predict that both the wheel and the highway will be obsolete, giving way to hovercraft that ride on air. Planes carrying 1,000 passengers and flying just under the speed of sound will of course be old hat. The new thing will be transport by ballistic rocket, capable of reaching any place on Earth in 40 minutes. In Rand's Delphi study, 82 scientists agreed that a permanent lunar base will have been established long before A.D. 2000 and that men will have flown past Venus and landed on Mars... [continued]
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,835128-1,00.html

Physics news on Phys.org
They should have kept there predictions more modest, as in we would have the capability to . . . . .

"The new thing will be transport by ballistic rocket, capable of reaching any place on Earth in 40 minutes."

Hmmm, I have a feeling that would not be a pleasant flight :-/

Then again, was the ubiquity of an internet and the development of related technology predicted? We seem to have focused on communication rather than transportation, is all.

The article is six pages long...

By A.D. 2000, the U.S. population will have risen to about 330 million, and nine out of ten Americans will be living in supercities or their suburbs. But cities, like industry, will tend to decentralize; with instant communications, it will no longer be necessary for business enterprises to cluster together. Futurist Marshall McLuhan even foresees the possibility that many people will stay at home, doing their work via countrywide telecommunication.

I find this sort of retrospective useful for fine tuning expectations. And I especially liked the concluding comment.

The chief message of the futurists is that man is not trapped in an absurd fate but that he can and must choose his destiny—a technological reassertion of free will.

A journey of a thousand miles begins not with a single step, but with a map.

Last edited:
I think it all comes down to http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/25opec/sld020.htm" . Building self-driving cars, ballistic rocket transportation etc. is going to require HUGE amounts of energy for EVERYBODY & frankly, it just isn't there. Perhaps this will change as solar's becoming competitive with the local power companies, but I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thrice said:
I think it all comes down to http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/25opec/sld020.htm" . Building self-driving cars, ballistic rocket transportation etc. is going to require HUGE amounts of energy for EVERYBODY & frankly, it just isn't there. Perhaps this will change as solar's becoming competitive with the local power companies, but I don't know.

I think that slight drop in per capita energy use came about when the government finally mandated more efficient automobiles, appliances, and air conditioners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they were bang on with the anticipation of our kitchen robots preparing our food! But one little correct prediction in a huge morass of wishful thinking (an implated device "that will let the deaf hear"--come on!), well that is statistically inevitable .

Chi Meson said:
Well, they were bang on with the anticipation of our kitchen robots preparing our food! But one little correct prediction in a huge morass of wishful thinking (an implated device "that will let the deaf hear"--come on!), well that is statistically inevitable.
I think there was unbridled or irrational exuberance with what science and technology could achieve in the 1950's and 1960's. That was after WWII, which saw dramatic advances in electronics (radar, TV, . . . ), computers, communications, nuclear energy, and the space race. With those achievements, anything seemed possible. But then I used a slide rule through 1975.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_rule
http://www.hpmuseum.org/sliderul.htm
http://www.sliderule.ca/

As for a device to allow the deaf to hear, it depends on where the fault lies. One of my nephews lost hearing at age 2 due to meningitis. He can partially hear with a cochlea implant, but he has experienced a learning deficit, partly because the educational system is genearlly not structured appropriately for children with his condition, and he is shunned by the deaf community since his parents made the decision to try to restore some of his hearing.

Ironic sarcasm goes "plunk." Again!

We do NOT have robotic arms preparing our meals and doing kitchen work, yet we DO have the ear implants. My examples of correct and incorrect predictions were reversed. IT's FUNNY! (keep up with me people, I work quickly)

Where is the "sardonic smiley"?

Last edited:

1. What were some predictions for the year 2000 made in 1966?

In 1966, there were many predictions for what the year 2000 would look like. Some of the most popular predictions included flying cars, cities on the moon, and robots performing household tasks.

2. How accurate were these predictions?

While some predictions, such as advancements in technology, were accurate, many of the predictions made in 1966 for the year 2000 did not come to fruition. There are no cities on the moon and flying cars are not a common mode of transportation.

3. What were some major scientific advancements that did occur by the year 2000?

The year 2000 saw many significant scientific advancements, including the mapping of the human genome, the development of the internet, and the creation of advanced medical technologies such as MRI machines.

4. Were there any unforeseen events or developments in the year 2000?

While there were many predictions for advancements in technology, there were also unforeseen events and developments that occurred in the year 2000. These include the Y2K scare, the rise of social media, and the increase in global warming concerns.

5. How have our views of the future changed since 1966?

Since 1966, our views of the future have become more realistic and grounded in current technology and societal issues. Instead of focusing on grand, futuristic ideas, we now consider the potential consequences and ethical implications of scientific advancements.

Back