How much choice for free ultrafilters?

• Thread starter CRGreathouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary: Thanks for pointing it out!I've been Schechter's site, but somehow I missed that page (or that part). Thanks for pointing it out!
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In ZF, AC implies the ultrafilter theorem (every Boolean algebra has a free ultrafilter).

• Is the converse known to be false? That is, is there a model of ZF where the ultrafilter theorem is true and AC is false?
  • Does some weaker version of AC (countable choice, for example) imply the ultrafilter theorem?
  • Does the ultrafilter theorem imply countable or dependent choice?
  • In particular, how much choice is needed to build nonstandard analysis? Can it be done with less than AC?

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is a countable choice would be enough for NSA, though I'm not sure. I'm guessing that because the compactness theorem in logic gives NSA and it's only needed in a countable case. (If [x]P(x) means there exists an x such that P(x) is true, and
S={[x]x<1, [x]x<1/2, [x]x<1/3, [x]x<1/4,...} has a model for every finite subset of S and so S has a model.) I really don't know if that has anything to do with what you're asking...

Sorry this wasn't more helpful.

phoenixthoth said:
Sorry this wasn't more helpful.

Are you kidding? That's great! It gives me an angle to start from, and it looks like it solves the biggest part of my question off the bat.

I'm going to look into this in more detail; I'll post again if I find something.

CRGreathouse said:
In ZF, AC implies the ultrafilter theorem (every Boolean algebra has a free ultrafilter).

• Is the converse known to be false? That is, is there a model of ZF where the ultrafilter theorem is true and AC is false?
  • Does some weaker version of AC (countable choice, for example) imply the ultrafilter theorem?
  • Does the ultrafilter theorem imply countable or dependent choice?
  • In particular, how much choice is needed to build nonstandard analysis? Can it be done with less than AC?

The following link offers some discussion related to your questions.

http://at.yorku.ca/cgi-bin/bbqa?forum=ask_a_topologist_2006;task=show_msg;msg=2629

There's a link provided in the above to a page by Eric Schechter that's worth a read.
Also, you might check out his book on "...analysis and its foundations".

fopc said:
The following link offers some discussion related to your questions.

http://at.yorku.ca/cgi-bin/bbqa?forum=ask_a_topologist_2006;task=show_msg;msg=2629

There's a link provided in the above to a page by Eric Schechter that's worth a read.
Also, you might check out his book on "...analysis and its foundations".

Thanks for the link! That really seems to answer the question. Now I only need the weaker ultrafilter theorem, but I think the two may be ZF-equivalent. I'll look some more into that.

I've been Schechter's site, but somehow I missed that page (or that part).

1. What is a free ultrafilter?

A free ultrafilter is a mathematical concept used in the study of set theory and topology. It is a type of filter, which is a way of selecting subsets of a larger set according to certain rules. Ultrafilters are filters that are not only maximal, but also have some additional properties that make them useful for certain types of mathematical proofs.

2. How is choice related to free ultrafilters?

The axiom of choice, a fundamental principle in mathematics, states that given any collection of non-empty sets, it is possible to choose one element from each set. Free ultrafilters are closely related to the axiom of choice, as they can be used to prove the existence of non-constructible sets, which are sets that cannot be explicitly defined without using the axiom of choice.

3. What is the significance of free ultrafilters in mathematics?

Free ultrafilters have many important applications in mathematics, especially in set theory, topology, and model theory. They are used to prove theorems about infinite sets, to construct non-standard models of mathematical theories, and to study the structure of topological spaces.

4. Are free ultrafilters used in any real-world applications?

While free ultrafilters may seem purely abstract and theoretical, they have been applied in some real-world scenarios. For example, they have been used in computer science to analyze the complexity of algorithms, and in economics to study the behavior of agents in complex systems.

5. How much choice is there for free ultrafilters?

The amount of choice for free ultrafilters is a subject of ongoing research and debate in mathematics. Some mathematicians argue that the axiom of choice is necessary for the existence of free ultrafilters, while others believe that weaker forms of choice, such as the axiom of countable choice, are sufficient. The exact amount of choice needed for free ultrafilters is still an open question.