Using BEC to Propel a Solar Sail - What Do You Think?

In summary, the body would absorb a certain percentage of the light and then the remaining light would be reflected back and would have a greater effect on the sail than if the light was just slowed down.
Yum Yum
This is kind of a weird question, so I'll just throw it out there. So I was talking to my mate about BEC a couple of weeks ago and he proposed an interesting idea. I was telling him how BEC was used to slow down light to 38mph, what he suggested was using this concept to move a solar sail. So my question is, would the acceleration gained by light passing through the BEC have a greater impact on the solar sail than the idea of light propulsion already does? I have no idea about things on this kind of level so it would be interesting to know people's opinions on this as BEC is interesting enough as it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yum Yum said:
This is kind of a weird question, so I'll just throw it out there. So I was talking to my mate about BEC a couple of weeks ago and he proposed an interesting idea. I was telling him how BEC was used to slow down light to 38mph, what he suggested was using this concept to move a solar sail. So my question is, would the acceleration gained by light passing through the BEC have a greater impact on the solar sail than the idea of light propulsion already does? I have no idea about things on this kind of level so it would be interesting to know people's opinions on this as BEC is interesting enough as it is.
That way of moving a solar sail would be less efficient than an absorbing body, which is, in turn, less efficient than a solar sail: in the first case the body acquire the light's momentum, in the second, the double of it. With a BEC, it would acquire almost the momentum of the first case.

Hmm, so light traveling at a constant speed would have a greater effect on the sail than light being slowed down by the BEC?

Yum Yum said:
Hmm, so light traveling at a constant speed would have a greater effect on the sail than light being slowed down by the BEC?
No, the problem is different: with a solar sail you have light reflected back from the sail, so the momentum gained from the sail is 2p where p is the initial light's momentum: since light is reflected, its momentum change from +p to -p, ; for the momentum conservation's law, the total momentum must be the same before and after reflection, so the sail must acquire a momentum p:

p(sail) + p(light after reflection) = light's momentum before reflection = p
that is:
p(sail) + (-p) = p --> p(sail) = 2p.

In the case of total light's absorption:

p(sail) + p(light after absorption) = light's momentum before absorption = p
that is:
p(sail) + 0 = p --> p(sail) = p

In the case of partial light's absorption, without reflection, so that the other (non absorbed) part of light goes through the semi-transparent body without interacting with it, we have:

p(body) + p(light after partial interaction) = p
that is:
p(body) + x*p = p, where 0 < x < 1 --> p(body) = p(1 - x) < p.

The case you propose, with BEC, should be considered as the last I wrote.

You can yourself compute the case of partial absorption and partial reflection.

1. How does BEC work to propel a solar sail?

BEC, or Bose-Einstein condensate, is a state of matter in which a group of atoms are cooled to extremely low temperatures, close to absolute zero. In this state, the atoms behave as a single entity with quantum properties. By shining a laser onto the BEC, photons are absorbed and re-emitted by the atoms, creating a recoil force that can propel the solar sail forward.

2. What are the advantages of using BEC over traditional propulsion methods?

One advantage of using BEC is that it requires no fuel, as it relies on the energy of the laser. This makes it a more efficient and sustainable method of propulsion for long-distance space travel. Additionally, BEC can generate high accelerations, making it a potentially faster method of propulsion compared to traditional methods.

3. Are there any limitations to using BEC to propel a solar sail?

One limitation is the need for a constant source of laser energy to sustain the BEC and propel the solar sail. This may be challenging for long-term space missions. Additionally, the BEC would need to be shielded from external factors such as magnetic fields that could disrupt its stability.

4. How much thrust can BEC provide for a solar sail?

The amount of thrust generated by BEC depends on factors such as the size and temperature of the BEC, as well as the intensity of the laser. However, it has been estimated that BEC could provide a thrust of up to 1N (newton), which is equivalent to the weight of an apple on Earth.

5. What are the potential applications of using BEC to propel a solar sail?

BEC could potentially be used for deep space exploration and missions to other planets, as it is a more efficient and sustainable method of propulsion compared to traditional methods. It could also be used for satellite propulsion and maneuvering, as well as in the field of astrophysics for studying gravitational waves and other phenomena.