Predicting when a liquid flow will break into droplets

In summary, Jeff Corkern found that if people possess immortal souls, it should be possible to deduce this by logical analysis of their behavior. He found this website, www.theninepointfivetheses.blogspot.com, which provides references for further research.
Jeff Corkern
I would like to know how to predict when a flow of liquid---dichloromethane, actually---freely flowing downward through a small hole (varying from around .05 to .001 cm) will exit as droplets instead of flowing in a steady stream. I have been bouncing around the Internet for a good while now and everything I find is either too specialized or grade-school level. I'm not interested in the flow of polymer solutions, just a plain old low-viscosity Newtonian fluid.

I've learned how to predict flow rate using Poiseuille's Law and drop size using Tate's Law. Now I need to know how to predict if the flow will be a steady stream or drops. Drops is what I want, actually.

I need something simple, not something complicated.

My own chemistry/mathematical/physical background:Simple quantum mechanics. Mathematics through simple differential equations. Vector calculus. E&M theory, i.e. applications and analysis of Maxwell's Equations. Thermodynamics and statistical thermodynamics.

So I can handle a certain amount of math.

Anybody here have any links? TIA.

Jeff Corkern
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Consider the following as a statement of logic and rank it as "True" or "False."

"If people possesses immortal souls, it should be possible to deduce this by logical analysis of their behavior."

www.theninepointfivetheses.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Some terms that might be helpful... Jet Reynolds Number, Weber Number.

Also,

http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.fluid.30.1.85?cookieSet=1&journalCode=fluid

Thanks.

They want $20 for the article online but I happen to live very close to a large university and have access to their chemistry library.

Will check out the other references.

You can find stuff that's very easy, or you can find stuff that's very complicated, but it's hard to find stuff in the middle.

Jeff Corkern
Consider the following as a statement of logic and rank it as "True" or "False."

"If people possesses immortal souls, it should be possible to deduce this by logical analysis of their behavior."

www.theninepointfivetheses.blogspot.com

1. What factors affect when a liquid flow will break into droplets?

The factors that affect when a liquid flow will break into droplets include the surface tension of the liquid, the velocity of the flow, the viscosity of the liquid, and the size and shape of the container or nozzle from which the liquid is flowing.

2. How can we predict when a liquid flow will break into droplets?

Predicting when a liquid flow will break into droplets involves understanding the dynamics of the flow and using mathematical models and experiments to analyze the effects of different factors, such as surface tension and flow velocity. This can help us determine the critical conditions at which a liquid flow will break into droplets.

3. Can we control when a liquid flow will break into droplets?

Yes, by manipulating the factors that affect when a liquid flow will break into droplets, such as surface tension, velocity, and viscosity, we can control when the flow will break into droplets. This can be useful in industrial processes where a specific droplet size is desired.

4. What are the practical applications of predicting when a liquid flow will break into droplets?

The ability to accurately predict when a liquid flow will break into droplets has practical applications in fields such as chemical engineering, spray coating and painting, inkjet printing, and fuel injection. It can also help in understanding natural phenomena, such as rain formation.

5. Are there any limitations to predicting when a liquid flow will break into droplets?

While we have advanced mathematical models and experimental techniques to predict when a liquid flow will break into droplets, there are still limitations due to the complexity of fluid dynamics. Factors such as turbulence and non-uniformity in the flow can make predictions less accurate. Additionally, predicting the exact size and shape of the droplets is still a challenge.