Covalent Bonding: Combining C & C

In summary, you need to find arrangements of atoms that share their valence electrons, and satisfy the octet rule.
jleposky
[SOLVED] Covalent bonding?

How do i write combined covalent bonds? For example how would i put together C and C to make a covalent bond(would it just be CC)?

Physics news on Phys.org
jleposky said:
How do i write combined covalent bonds? For example how would i put together C and C to make a covalent bond(would it just be CC)?

Are you asking simply about notation?

Try C-C for a single bond, C=C for a double bond, etc.

Eugene.

umm, I am not sure, could you elaberate on that? Like for a homework assignment i must wright the combined form of C and C and i don't know how to write it. I know how it works i just don't know how to write the final answer.

jleposky said:
umm, I am not sure, could you elaberate on that? Like for a homework assignment i must wright the combined form of C and C and i don't know how to write it. I know how it works i just don't know how to write the final answer.

It would help if you reproduce here your assignment word-by-word. It is difficult to understand what exactly you mean. Perhaps you were asked about a molecule consisting of two carbon atoms [itex] C_2 [/itex]. You can also write it as C(four parallel lines)C to indicate "quadruple" bonding.

Eugene.

BONDING REVIEW WORKSHEET

Complete the following table by making covalent compounds, being sure that the octect rule is satisfied.

Element: Carbon|Oxyen|Nitrogen|
Carbon|Answer|Answer|Answer|
Oxygen|Answer|Answer|Answer|
Nitrogen|Answer|Answer|Answer|

their are many other questions but i just want to know how.

P.S. Read this like a math chart thing
ex:
# |1|2|
|1|1|2|
|2|2|4|

jleposky said:
BONDING REVIEW WORKSHEET

Complete the following table by making covalent compounds, being sure that the octect rule is satisfied.

Element: Carbon|Oxyen|Nitrogen|
Carbon|Answer|Answer|Answer|
Oxygen|Answer|Answer|Answer|
Nitrogen|Answer|Answer|Answer|

I think you should try to find such arrangements of atoms that by sharing their valence electrons they are surrounded by 8 electrons each (the octet rule). Some of the pairs are rather simple: diamond crystal in the case of C-C pair, [itex] O_2 [/itex] molecule in the case of O-O pair, [itex] CO_2 [/itex] molecule in the case of C-O pair. C-N and O-N are trickier.

Eugene.

What is a covalent bond?

A covalent bond is a type of chemical bond where two or more atoms share electrons in order to achieve a more stable electron configuration.

How do carbon atoms bond with each other?

Carbon atoms form covalent bonds by sharing electrons with each other. This allows carbon to form a variety of molecules and compounds with different properties.

What are the properties of a covalent bond?

Covalent bonds are typically stronger than other types of bonds, such as ionic bonds. They also tend to have lower melting and boiling points compared to ionic compounds.

Can carbon form multiple covalent bonds?

Yes, carbon can form single, double, or triple bonds with other atoms. This allows for the formation of a wide variety of organic compounds with different structures and properties.

What are some examples of molecules with covalent bonds?

Examples of molecules with covalent bonds include carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), and water (H2O). These molecules are essential for life and have important roles in various chemical processes.