Solving Nonhomogeneous Cauchy Equations with Erwin Kreyszig's WILEY Book

In summary: Yes, you are correct. My mistake. The correct solution would be y=C1e^t+ C2te^t+ t+ 3. Sorry for the error.
Hussam Al-Tayeb
I got this book from WILEY by Erwin Kreyszig. It tells how to solved homogenous cauchy equations. It also covers simple nonhomogenous equations.
But it doesn't cover when we have nonhomogenous Cauchy equations like this one.
x2y''-xy'+y=lnx
How do I go about solving that equation?

I substituted x=e ^t and obtained the homogeneous solution yh=c1*x+c2*x
but there is still the partial solution (yp).
Any idea?
final answer should be y=yh+yp

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hussam Al-Tayeb said:
I got this book from WILEY by Erwin Kreyszig. It tells how to solved homogenous cauchy equations. It also covers simple nonhomogenous equations.
x2y''-xy'+y=lnx

Any idea?

You could use a series solution to this one. Although it might take some time, it might also clarify why the solution is what you say it is.

Hussam Al-Tayeb said:
x2y''-xy'+y=lnx

Any idea?
Well, no, you didn't get that as a homogeneous solutions because you obviously (unless you made a typo) don't have two independent solutions! If you make the substitution
x= e^t then you get the homogeneous equation d^2y/dt^2- 2dy/dt+ y= 0 which has characteristic equation r^2- 2r+ 1= (r-1)^2= 0 and so gives the single solution y= e^t. The OTHER independent solution is y= te^t. Those two solutions, converted to x, since t= ln(x) are y= x and y= x ln(x).

But why stop at the homogeneous equation. Since the right hand side of your equation is ln(x), replacing x by e^t there gives ln(e^t)= t. Your equation reduces completely to
d^2/dt^2- 2dy/dt+ y= t. Trying y= At+ b, y'= A, y"= 0 so you have -2A+ At+ B= t: A= 1 and -2A+ B= -2+ B= 1 gives B= 3. Your general solution to the converted equation is
y= C1e^t+ C2xe^t+ t+ 3 which, using t= ln x, goes back to y= C1x+ C2x ln(x)+ ln(x)+ 3.

HallsofIvy, I understood the y1= e^t and y2=te^t

But you said "Your equation reduces completely to d^2/dt^2- 2dy/dt+ y= t"
shouldn't it reduce to:
e^2t y'' - e^t y' + y = t ?

Last edited:

What is the best approach to solving nonhomogeneous Cauchy equations?

According to Erwin Kreyszig's WILEY book, the best approach is to use the method of undetermined coefficients followed by variation of parameters.

What are the main differences between homogeneous and nonhomogeneous Cauchy equations?

The main difference is that homogeneous equations have all terms equal to zero, while nonhomogeneous equations have a non-zero term on the right-hand side. This term is known as the forcing function.

What is the significance of Erwin Kreyszig's WILEY book in solving nonhomogeneous Cauchy equations?

Erwin Kreyszig's WILEY book is considered a classic reference for differential equations and is widely used by scientists and mathematicians. It provides a comprehensive and rigorous approach to solving nonhomogeneous Cauchy equations.

Can the method of undetermined coefficients be used for all nonhomogeneous Cauchy equations?

No, the method of undetermined coefficients can only be used for nonhomogeneous equations with constant coefficients. For other types of nonhomogeneous equations, the method of variation of parameters should be used.

What are some common applications of solving nonhomogeneous Cauchy equations?

Nonhomogeneous Cauchy equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model real-life situations. They can be used to describe the behavior of systems under external forces or influences.