Understanding Non-Bonding Pairs of Electrons

• Thread starter ace123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bonding
In summary, the conversation discussed the role of non-bonding pairs of electrons in molecules. These pairs do not participate in bonding and are responsible for repulsions with other bonded atoms and non-bonding pairs of electrons. They also have an effect on molecular polarities and can contribute to resonance effects in molecules. The conversation also clarified that lone pairs of electrons are primarily responsible for hydrogen bonding and can affect the polarity of molecules. Ultimately, the correct answer to the original question was that non-bonding pairs of electrons do not influence molecular polarities because they are not involved in the formation of bonds.
ace123
[SOLVED] Ambiguous bonding question

Like I said it's just an ambiguous bonding question.

Non-bonding pairs of electrons

1. Create repulsions with other bonded atoms and other non-bonded pairs of electrons.

2. Do not influence molecular polarities because they are not involved in the formation of bonds.

3. Are responsible for resonance effects in molecules

4. Are counted as anti-bonding electrons when calculating bond orders of molecules.

5. Are localized on the least electronegative atom.

So I basically eliminated 3-5 as being wrong. But I'm unsure what they mean by non-bonding pairs of electrons. Are they referring solely to lone pairs or are they referring to core electrons. Which is why I'm stuck between 1 and 2. So I could use a little help. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore the core electrons.

So that means that one is correct? Thank you for answering

And why not 2?

well because if they are lone pairs then they are positioned in a atom in such a way to minimize the repulsions between electrons. Is this not correct? Also I don't see how they could effect molecular polarities. I mean they don't effect polarity

So am I right? It doesn't really matter since the exam has passed but I would still like to know for the future.

lone pairs are responsible for polarity in many compounds (the majority in fact)

H2O has 2 lone pairs, and is the reason that water is polar - why ice is less dense than water etc...

i can't get how the lone pairs are responsible for the polarity of water molecules(aain't you referring to h bonds??!). i always thought that it was because the oxygen is very electronegative; it should only depend on the effective nuclear charge, that is proton number and shielding effect.

lone pairs can build up shielding effect, and in this way affect polarity.

i'm still in high school, so i might be wrong...;)

lone pairs of electrons are areas of localized negative charge. That is practically the definition of polarity!

oo right... guess my high school chem is a bit distorted...huh??!
thnks for pointing that out.

but what i said, does it make sense? that, e.g. in water, the oxygen atom attracts the bond pair in the O-H bond towards itself, and hence gets the negative charge. consequently, the hydrogen gets the positive charge. lone pairs have nothing to do except to bend the molecule??

thnks

No. The lone pairs are primarily responsible for hydrogen bonding. A huge effect.

Well the answer was one like I thought and I just realized that my previous post was incorrect. I meant that I don't see how it could not effect the polarities but the do not participate in bonding threw me off. Anyway I got it right and that is all that really matters. So thanks.

1. What is ambiguous bonding?

Ambiguous bonding refers to a type of chemical bonding where the nature of the bond is not clearly defined or understood. It can occur when there is a mixture of different types of bonding, such as ionic and covalent bonding.

2. How does ambiguous bonding affect chemical reactions?

Ambiguous bonding can affect chemical reactions by making them more difficult to predict or control. This is because the strength and properties of the bond are not well defined, which can lead to unexpected reactions or outcomes.

3. What are some examples of ambiguous bonding?

Examples of ambiguous bonding include the bonding between hydrogen and oxygen in water, which has both covalent and hydrogen bonding, and the bonding between carbon and hydrogen in organic molecules, which can have both covalent and van der Waals bonding.

4. How is ambiguous bonding different from other types of bonding?

Ambiguous bonding differs from other types of bonding in that it is not purely ionic or purely covalent, but rather a combination of both. It can also involve other types of bonding, such as metallic or van der Waals bonding, making it difficult to classify.

5. Can ambiguous bonding be broken or changed?

Yes, ambiguous bonding can be broken or changed through chemical reactions or physical processes. For example, the bond between hydrogen and oxygen in water can be broken through electrolysis, and the bond between carbon and hydrogen in organic molecules can be changed through oxidation or reduction reactions.