Simple Harmonic Motion and Wave Motion

In summary, The conversation is about Simple Harmonic Motion and the person is seeking an explanation. They are confused about finding the period and frequencies and are unsure if the \omegat+\phi has anything to do with it. The other person explains that \omega is the angular velocity and multiplied by t gives an angular position, while \phi is the phase angle that shifts the sine wave in time. A resource is also provided for further clarification.
Commodore
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could explain Simple Harmonic Motion. My physics teacher has tried and I have read the parts in the book, but I am still confused. I know how to find the amplitude from the standard form equations, but I really just don't understand how to get the period and the frequencies. Does it have something to do with the [tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\phi[/tex] thing or am I just way off? (If it doesn't, please explain what [tex]\omega[/tex]t+[tex]\phi[/tex] tells you.) Thank you!

-- Commodore

Physics news on Phys.org
For a sinusoidal (sin or cos) wave, the parameter [itex]\omega[/itex] is the angular velocity and multiplied by t gives an angular position which is linear with time - [itex]\omega[/itex]t is always increasing. The other parameter in the argument, [itex]\phi[/itex], is the phase angle, which simply shifts the sine wave in time.

See if this helps - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/shm.html

Thank you very much for the information. I am about to see if I understand it by taking my last test (before the final).

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern. It occurs when a restoring force is proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

What is an example of Simple Harmonic Motion?

An example of Simple Harmonic Motion is the movement of a mass on a spring. As the spring is stretched, the mass is pulled back towards its equilibrium position by the restoring force of the spring. This causes the mass to oscillate back and forth in a regular pattern.

What is the formula for calculating the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The formula for calculating the period (T) of Simple Harmonic Motion is T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the object and k is the spring constant.

What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Wave Motion?

The main difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Wave Motion is that SHM occurs in a single dimension, while Wave Motion occurs in two or three dimensions. Additionally, SHM is a type of periodic motion, while Wave Motion involves the propagation of energy.

What are the different types of waves?

There are several types of waves, including mechanical waves, electromagnetic waves, and matter waves. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. Matter waves, also known as de Broglie waves, are associated with the movement of subatomic particles.