Final temperature of system

In summary, a large punch bowl containing 3.95 kg of lemonade at 20 C has a 1.74 kg ice cube at -10.2 C placed in it. Using the equations Q = mCT and Q = mLf, it can be determined that the final temperature of the system is 0 C and there is still ice remaining. The final answer is correct, but the amount of remaining ice can be found by calculating the difference between the heat lost by the cooling water and the heat gained by the warming ice, and then using that to find the mass of the melted ice.
Nghi

Homework Statement

A large punch bowl holds 3.95 kg of lemonade (which is essentially water) at 20 C. A 1.74 kg ice cube at -10.2 C is placed in the lemonade. What is the final temperature of the system, and the amount of ice (if any) remaining? Ignore any heat change with the bowl of surroundings.

Homework Equations

Q = mCT
Q = mLf (Lf = Latent heat of fusion)
Cwater = 4186 J/(kg x K)
Cice = 2090 J/(kg x K)
Lf = 33.5e4 J/kg

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the final temperature, I figured out the amount of heat it would take to bring water from 20.0 C to 0.00 C. It's basically plug and chug.

Qwater = mCT
= (3.95)(4186)(20)
= 330,694 J

Then I found the amount of heat it would take to bring ice from -10.2 C to 0 C. I also calculated the amount of heat it wold take to melt the ice (using latent heat).

Qice = mCT
= (1.74)(2090)(10.2)
= 37,093.32 J

Qice = mLf
= (1.74)(33.5e4)
= 582,900 J

Qice total = 619,993.32 J

Then I subtracted Qice from Qwater, and here was what I got:

Q = Qw - Qi
= 330,694 - 619,993.32
= -289,299.32 J

Since the leftover heat is negative, it means that ice is left over. So that would mean that the final temperature of water would be 0.00 C. I don't know if the thinking process is correct (Can someone help me verify this?), but I do know that the final answer is correct.

The problem I'm having is the amount of ice remaining. Since delta Q is negative, it would mean that ice would INCREASE, right? But I don't know how to solve it. :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the Q lost by the cooling water must be equal to the Q gained by the warming ice + the Q that melts the ice.

So the difference between the mcT(water) and mcT (ice) would give you the amount of heat still available to melt the 0 degree ice. Use that to find the mass of the ice that melted which will lead to the amount that still remains.

Thank you so much! :)

What is the definition of final temperature of a system?

The final temperature of a system refers to the temperature that the system reaches after all heat transfer processes have occurred and the system has reached thermal equilibrium.

How is the final temperature of a system calculated?

The final temperature of a system can be calculated using the principle of energy conservation, where the sum of the initial energies of the system (including thermal, kinetic, and potential energies) is equal to the sum of the final energies of the system.

What factors affect the final temperature of a system?

The final temperature of a system can be affected by several factors including the initial temperatures of the components of the system, the heat capacity of the components, and the amount of heat transferred between the components.

Why is the final temperature of a system important to understand?

Understanding the final temperature of a system is important in order to accurately predict the outcome of heat transfer processes and to ensure that the system reaches thermal equilibrium. It is also important in various fields such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and engineering.

Can the final temperature of a system be lower than the initial temperature?

Yes, the final temperature of a system can be lower than the initial temperature if heat is transferred out of the system. This can occur in processes such as evaporation or when a system is placed in a cooler environment.