DeMorgan's Laws: Infinite Unions & Intersections

In summary, DeMorgan's Laws are rules that describe the relationship between unions and intersections of sets. They are used in mathematics and logic to simplify and manipulate logical expressions, as well as in set theory to determine the relationship between different sets. An infinite union is a union of an infinite number of sets, while an infinite intersection is an intersection of an infinite number of sets. DeMorgan's Laws can be applied to infinite unions and intersections in the same way as they are applied to finite ones, where the complement of an infinite union is equal to the intersection of the complements of the individual sets, and vice versa.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Do deMorgan's laws hold for infinite unions and intersections i.e.

is [tex]X-\cap_{i=1}^{\infty}U_i = \cup_{i=1}^{\infty}(X-U_i)[/tex]

?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm fairly certain the proof is exactly the same as it would be for a finite number

What are DeMorgan's Laws?

DeMorgan's Laws are a set of rules in mathematics and logic that describe the relationship between unions and intersections of sets. They state that the complement of the union of two sets is equal to the intersection of their complements, and vice versa.

How are DeMorgan's Laws used in mathematics and logic?

DeMorgan's Laws are used to simplify and manipulate logical expressions, particularly in Boolean algebra. They can also be applied in set theory to determine the relationship between different sets.

What is an infinite union?

An infinite union is a union of an infinite number of sets. This means that the union contains all the elements that are present in at least one of the sets, even if there are an infinite number of sets.

What is an infinite intersection?

An infinite intersection is an intersection of an infinite number of sets. This means that the intersection contains only the elements that are present in all of the sets, even if there are an infinite number of sets.

How can DeMorgan's Laws be applied to infinite unions and intersections?

DeMorgan's Laws can be applied to infinite unions and intersections in the same way as they are applied to finite unions and intersections. The complement of an infinite union is equal to the intersection of the complements of the individual sets, and vice versa.