Rating of Threads: How is it Calculated?

• Thread starter Shooting Star
  • Start date
In summary, the rating of a thread is like a movie rating and is given by certain members, but contributors can no longer give ratings. The calculation is simply the average number of stars. However, ratings have been disabled due to low usage.
Shooting Star
Homework Helper
Could anyone please tell me what is the rating of a thread? How is it calculated?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is like a movie rating, but only certain members (I think contributers and mentors/admin) can give a rating to a thread. For calculation it is just the average number of stars.

edit... Actually, it looks like contributors can't give ratings anymore :cry:

Last edited:
Ratings were disabled a bit ago, not very useful, wasn't used much. Suppose I should take the label off.

Thanks to both of you for replying.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Ratings were disabled a bit ago, not very useful, wasn't used much. Suppose I should take the label off.

But it still pretends to "go"...

1. What factors are considered when calculating the rating of a thread?

The rating of a thread is calculated based on a combination of factors, including the number of views, likes, and replies it receives, as well as the overall engagement and activity on the thread.

2. Is the rating of a thread based on individual user ratings or an overall average?

The rating of a thread is based on an overall average, taking into account the ratings from all users who have interacted with the thread.

3. How often is the rating of a thread updated?

The rating of a thread is updated in real-time, meaning it is constantly changing as new interactions and engagements occur on the thread.

4. Can the rating of a thread be influenced or manipulated by users?

No, the rating of a thread is based on a complex algorithm and cannot be directly influenced or manipulated by individual users.

5. Is the rating of a thread a reliable indicator of its quality or relevance?

The rating of a thread is one factor that can indicate its quality or relevance, but it should not be the sole determining factor. Other factors such as the content of the thread and the opinions and insights shared by users should also be considered.