Chemistry equilibrium Question

In summary, the problem involves finding the equilibrium concentrations of N2, H2, and NH3 in a reaction with a K value of 64 at 25 degrees celsius. The equilibrium expression is set up and solved using the quadratic equation to find the value of x, which is then substituted into the equilibrium concentrations to find their values. The use of 'x' in the problem is not necessary.
erjkism
[SOLVED] Chemistry equilibrium Question

Homework Statement

K=64. at 25 degrees celsius

N2(g) + 3H2(g) <--> 2NH3(g)

Molarity N2= .5M H2= 1.5M. what are the equilibrium concentrations?

i got the equilibrium table set up, and the K expression is
(2x)(2x)
k= ------------------------------
(.5-x)(1.5-3x)(1.5-3x)(1.5-3x)

how can i solve for x?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if you raise the equilibrium concentrations to powers; if not, I have:

K = 2x / (0.5 - x)(1.5 - 3x)
K = 2x / (3x^2 - 3x + 0.75)
(3x^2 - 3x + 0.75)K = 2x
(3x^2 - 3x + 0.75)K -2x = 0
K3x^2 - K3x + K0.75 - 2x = 0
K = 64, so:

192x^2 - 190x + 48 = 0

Plug this into the quadratic equation, then substitute the answer for x for each concentration. For example, since the equilibrium concentration for NH2 is 2x, if x = 4, the equilibrium concentration would be 8M.

Just keep in mind that I'm not sure about raising the terms to stoichiometric powers in this kind of problem...

For equilibrium of a reaction of the type,

[tex]aA + bB +cC + ... \leftrightharpoons\ dD + eE + ...[/tex]

the equilibrium expression is:

[tex] \frac{[D]^d[E]^e...}{[A]^a^b[C]^c...}[/tex]

I'm not sure why you are using 'x' in your problem since it really isn't necessary.

Last edited:
forget it i found out what to do

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in a chemical reaction where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time. This means that the forward and reverse reactions are occurring at equal rates.

2. How is chemical equilibrium achieved?

Chemical equilibrium is achieved when the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This can occur when the reactants are consumed and converted into products, or when the products are consumed and converted back into reactants.

3. What factors affect chemical equilibrium?

The factors that affect chemical equilibrium include temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium in one direction or the other.

4. How can we predict the direction of a chemical equilibrium?

The direction of a chemical equilibrium can be predicted using Le Chatelier's principle. This principle states that if a stress is applied to a system in equilibrium, the equilibrium will shift in the direction that relieves the stress.

5. How can we manipulate chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium can be manipulated by changing the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants and products. By altering these factors, we can shift the equilibrium in the desired direction to increase the yield of a certain product.