Calculating Current Density in Solar Wind: nLAe Method Explained

• Thread starter flash525
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the current density by multiplying the density of protons in the solar wind (10.0cm^-3) with their speed (691 km/s). The question is whether the density needs to be converted to (km)^-3 or if the speed should be converted to cm/s. The answer is that either units can be used, but they should be consistent in order to get a sensible answer. The conversation ends with the person stating that they have figured it out.
flash525
Near earth, the density of protons in the solar wind is 10.0cm^-3, and their speed is 691 km/s.
To find the current density I need to multiply (nLA)e

do i need to convert 10.0 protons cm^-3 to 10000000m^-3 because i tried that and it didnt work?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a simple case that you need to use consistent units to get a sensible answer.

If you really want to use the units km/s for speed then you should use (km)^-3 for your density and expect an anwser in units Amps/(km)^2. Alternatively you could convert the speed to cm/s (leaving density in (cm)^-3) and that would get you an answer in units Amps/(cm)^2.

thanks,
i actually figured it out

1. How do I convert units of measurement?

Converting units of measurement is a simple process that involves identifying the starting unit, finding the conversion factor, and applying it to convert to the desired unit. For example, to convert from inches to centimeters, you would multiply the number of inches by 2.54 to get the equivalent measurement in centimeters.

2. What is the difference between metric and imperial units?

Metric units are based on the International System of Units (SI) and are used in most countries around the world. Imperial units, also known as the British system of units, are mainly used in the United States and United Kingdom. The main difference between the two is the base unit of measurement - metric units use meters, liters, and grams, whereas imperial units use feet, gallons, and pounds.

3. Can I convert between different types of units, such as length and weight?

Yes, you can convert between different types of units as long as they share a common measurement. For example, you can convert from meters to feet or from grams to ounces, but you cannot directly convert from meters to grams.

4. Is there a formula for converting units of measurement?

Yes, there is a formula for converting units of measurement. The formula is: new unit = starting unit x conversion factor. It's important to note that the conversion factor may vary depending on the specific units being converted.

5. Are there any online tools or apps that can help with unit conversion?

Yes, there are many online tools and apps available that can help with unit conversion. Some popular ones include Unit Converter, ConvertPad, and Converter+. These tools allow you to easily convert between different units of measurement and often have a wide range of units to choose from.