Calculating Resistance In Circuit

In summary, the loop circuit has a resistance of R and a current of 1.8A. When an additional 2.7 ohm resistor is added in series, the current is reduced to 1.3A. Using the equations V=I x R and V=I x (2.7+R), the correct value for R is 7.02 ohms.
Andy111

Homework Statement

A loop circuit has a resistance of R and a current of 1.8A. The current is reduced to 1.3A when an additional 2.7 ohm resistor is added in series with R.

What is the value of R?

Homework Equations

I is constant throughout a series circuit
V is shared in a series
Total resistance=the sum of the resistors in series

V=I x R

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted R (in the equation V=IR) with 4.7+R because this would represent the total resistance in the series. I knew that I was 1.3A. I calculated the Voltage on the 4.7 resistor (using V=IR) and got 6V. So then I substitued V total with 6 + V.

I ended up with the following equation. 6+V=1.3(4.7+R). I then tried substituting V (of the unknown resistor) with 1.3R, but then I realized that couldn't possibly work, because the R's would cancel. Then I tried 1.8R instead so I would end up with the equation .5R=.11, R=.22 but that doesn't sound right.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have to figure out V. In the first case, you have [tex]\frac{V}{R}=1.8[/tex]

And in the second case, you have [tex]\frac{V}{2.7+R}=1.3[/tex]

Two unknowns and two equations.

Last edited:
Okay. I got an answer of 7.02 using those equations, but it was incorrect.

Nevermind, I see where the mistake was. I used 2.7, it's supposed to be 4.7

1. What is resistance in a circuit?

Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

2. How do you calculate resistance in a circuit?

To calculate resistance, you need to know the voltage (V) and current (I) in the circuit. The formula for resistance is R = V/I. Alternatively, you can use Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current.

3. What factors affect resistance in a circuit?

The resistance of a circuit is affected by several factors, including the type of material used (conductors have low resistance, while insulators have high resistance), the length and thickness of the conductor, and the temperature (higher temperatures generally lead to higher resistance).

4. How does resistance affect the functioning of a circuit?

Resistance plays a crucial role in the functioning of a circuit. It helps to regulate the flow of current, preventing the circuit from overheating and potentially causing damage. Resistance also enables us to control the amount of current in a circuit, making it possible to power different devices with varying needs.

5. Can resistance ever be completely eliminated in a circuit?

No, resistance cannot be completely eliminated in a circuit. However, it can be reduced by using materials with low resistance, such as copper or silver, and by minimizing the length and thickness of the conductor. Additionally, superconductors, which have almost zero resistance, can be used in certain applications but require extremely low temperatures to function.