Circular loop problem: finding the radius of a small circle

In summary, to find the smallest radius for a pilot to execute a circular loop at the speed of sound without blacking out, one can use the equation a=v^2/r, where a is the acceleration (8g) and v is the speed of sound (340 m/s). This calculation does not require the use of G or M, and one must also account for the effect of gravity by adding or subtracting up to 1g.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

In an air show, a pilot is to execute a circular loop at the speed of sound(340 m/s) . The pilot may black out if his acceleration exceeds 8g. Find the radius of the smallest circle he can use. [Take g=10 m s^-2

Homework Equations

possible equations: u^2 >= 2*M*G/a
m*dv/dt=-m*M*G/r^2
m*v^2/r=-m*M*G/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

u=340 m/s
a=dv/dt=>=80 m s^-2
M=6.00e24 kg
G=6.67e-11

acceleration=dv/dt=> dv/dt=-M*G/r^2

option one
r=sqrt(M*G/(dv/dt)=7.07e12 meters
option 2
a=2*M*G/u^2, a being minimal radius and not the acceleration

a= 28284271.25 meters

actual answer: r>=1445 meters

what did I do wrong? should I have used polar coordinates since the problem states that the plane is going around a loop?

Perhaps I should write:

m*dv/dt=F(z) , F(z) representing the sum of all forces. the only two forces acting on the object is the gravitational force and the centripetal force ; so my equation looks like:

m*dv/dt=m*v^2/r-m*g

dv/dt=dv/dr*dr/dt=dv/dr*v. Now I can integrate in terms of the velocity vector and radius vector.

dv/dr=v^2/r-g

I get something that looks like this:

dv/v=dr/r-dr/g ==> ln v = In r -r/g

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

What equations do you know of that deal with circular motion?

FYI, the "r" in m*M*G/r^2 is not necessarily a radius, it's the distance between two masses.

Redbelly98 said:
Hi,

What equations do you know of that deal with circular motion?
hi,

the equations that deal with circular motion are : F(centripetal)=m*v^2/r and the equation for a particle in general motion:
FYI, the "r" in m*M*G/r^2 is not necessarily a radius, it's the distance between two masses.

Well, since the airplane is obviously flying around a circle on earth, then doesn't the radius of the Earth , plus the height the airplane is some distance above the surface of the Earth become relevant in finding the total R=R(earth)+height?

Benzoate said:
In an air show, a pilot is to execute a circular loop at the speed of sound(340 m/s) . The pilot may black out if his acceleration exceeds 8g. Find the radius of the smallest circle he can use. [Take g=10 m s^-2

M=6.00e24 kg
G=6.67e-11

Hi Benzoate! :smile:

I'm really confused :confused:

the question gives you the acceleration (8g) … which you can assume is constant (they're telling you g = 10, which is about 2% out anyway :wink:)

you don't need G or M!

Try again (and don't forget you'll have to add or subtract up to 1g for the gravity) :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Benzoate! :smile:

I'm really confused :confused:

the question gives you the acceleration (8g) … which you can assume is constant (they're telling you g = 10, which is about 2% out anyway :wink:)

you don't need G or M!

Try again (and don't forget you'll have to add or subtract up to 1g for the gravity) :smile:

could I just write:

a=v^2/r and since I know v and a I can easily calculate r correct?

Benzoate said:
could I just write:

a=v^2/r and since I know v and a I can easily calculate r correct?

:biggrin: Woohoo! :biggrin:

1. How do you find the radius of a small circle in a circular loop problem?

In order to find the radius of a small circle in a circular loop problem, you can use the formula A = πr^2, where A is the area of the circle and r is the radius. You will need to know the total area of the circular loop and the number of small circles within the loop. Then, you can use simple algebra to solve for the radius.

2. Can you provide an example of how to solve a circular loop problem?

Yes, for example, let's say we have a circular loop with a total area of 100 square meters and there are 4 small circles within the loop. We can use the formula A = πr^2 to find the area of each small circle, which in this case would be 25 square meters. Then, we can use algebra to solve for the radius by setting up the equation 25 = πr^2 and solving for r. In this case, the radius of each small circle would be approximately 2.82 meters.

3. Is there a specific unit of measurement that should be used when solving a circular loop problem?

No, there is no specific unit of measurement that must be used when solving a circular loop problem. The formula A = πr^2 can be used with any unit of measurement, as long as the units are consistent throughout the problem. For example, if the area of the circular loop is given in square feet, then the radius of the small circle should be calculated in feet as well.

4. What if the circular loop is not a perfect shape? Can the same formula still be used?

Yes, the same formula A = πr^2 can still be used even if the circular loop is not a perfect shape. As long as the total area of the loop and the number of small circles within the loop are known, the formula can be applied to solve for the radius of the small circle.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when solving a circular loop problem?

Yes, it's important to also consider the spacing between the small circles within the circular loop. If the small circles are placed too close together, it may not be possible to fit the desired number of circles within the loop. Additionally, the size and shape of the overall loop may also impact the radius of the small circles, so it's important to consider these factors when solving a circular loop problem.