Finding a general solution to an equation

In summary: I'll try to do that. The differential equation is u(x,y) = e^(ax) * e^(by), where 'a' and 'b' are unknown constants.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I have the following equation containing the variables x and y, where A, c > 0 and B is a constant, which I am not told anything about:

[tex]
-c^2x^2+y^2+2By+A=0.
[/tex]

I wish to find two solutions {x_1, y_1} and {x_2, y_2}, to this problem and they must be linearly independant. I thought of doing something like this:

[tex]
(-c^2x^2)+(y^2+2By+A)=0,
[/tex]

where we now have two second-order polynomials.

My question is: Is there any way to find a general solution to this problem as a function of either x or y?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not following you here. You have an equation in terms of x and y. The solutions of that equation are the collection of (x,y) points which satisfy that equation. So what does it mean for a collection of points to be "linearly independent"? Linear independence should apply only to vectors or functions, don't they?

I agree with Defennder :smile:

Your equation is obviously a hyperbola.

Is this part of a larger problem, like a differential equation? :confused:

But I need to distinct solution - so if one solution is a multple of the other, then I wouldn't be able to use it.

Is there a way to find a general solution to this problem?

Ok, here's the story:

I wish to find two solutions to the telegraph equation (a differential equation, second order, linear and homogeneous). I know that it is on the form of u(x,y) = e^(ax) * e^(by), where the 'a' and 'b' in this equation corresponds to the 'x' and 'y' I wrote in my first post. The 'a' and 'b' can by found using the above equation (inserting 'a' and 'b'):

[tex]

-c^2a^2+y^2+2Bb+A=0.

[/tex]
I wish to solve this.

- I should probably have written this from the beginning.. sorry.

Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I have the following equation containing the variables x and y, where A, c > 0 and B is a constant, which I am not told anything about:

[tex]
-c^2x^2+y^2+2By+A=0.
[/tex]

I wish to find two solutions {x_1, y_1} and {x_2, y_2}, to this problem and they must be linearly independant. I thought of doing something like this:

[tex]
(-c^2x^2)+(y^2+2By+A)=0,
[/tex]

where we now have two second-order polynomials.

My question is: Is there any way to find a general solution to this problem as a function of either x or y?

[tex]c^2x^2- (y^2+ 2By )= A[/tex]
Complete the square: [itex]y^2+ 2By= y^2+ 2By+ B^2- B^2= (y+ B)^2- B^2[/itex]
so
[tex]c^2x^2- (y- B)^2= A+ B^2[/tex]
That is, as tiny-tim said, a hyperbola. I don't understand what you want as a "general solution". That is the general solution: choose any value of y and solve for the corresponding value of x or vice versa.

For example,
[tex]c^2x^2= (y- B)^2+ A+ B^2[/tex]
[tex]x^2= \frac{(y-B)^2+ A+ B^2}{c^2}[/tex]
[tex]x= \frac{\pm\sqrt{(y-b)^2+ A+ B^2}}{c}[/tex]
or
[tex](y- B)^2= c^2x^2- A- B^2[/tex]
[tex]y- B= \pm\sqrt{c^2x^2- A- B^2}[/tex]
[tex]y= B\pm\sqrt{c^2x^2- A- B^2}[/tex]

Niles said:
Ok, here's the story:

I wish to find two solutions to the telegraph equation (a differential equation, second order, linear and homogeneous). I know that it is on the form of u(x,y) = e^(ax) * e^(by), where the 'a' and 'b' in this equation corresponds to the 'x' and 'y' I wrote in my first post. The 'a' and 'b' can by found using the above equation (inserting 'a' and 'b'):

[tex]

-c^2a^2+y^2+2Bb+A=0.

[/tex]

I wish to solve this.

- I should probably have written this from the beginning.. sorry.

Can you post the original differential equation, along with any initial conditions and additional information you are given?

1. What is a general solution to an equation?

A general solution to an equation is a solution that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the variables involved. It provides a way to find all possible solutions to an equation.

2. How do you find a general solution to an equation?

To find a general solution to an equation, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and then solve for it. This will give you the general form of the solution, which can then be applied to any value of the variable to find a specific solution.

3. Can there be more than one general solution to an equation?

Yes, there can be more than one general solution to an equation. This is because some equations have multiple variables and thus can have multiple general solutions, each one corresponding to a different value for the variable.

4. Why is finding a general solution important?

Finding a general solution is important because it provides a complete understanding of the behavior of the equation. It allows us to find all possible solutions and make predictions about the equation for any given value of the variable.

5. Are there any limitations to finding a general solution?

Yes, there are limitations to finding a general solution. Some equations may be too complex to find a general solution, or they may not have a general solution at all. In these cases, we may need to use numerical methods or approximations to find solutions.