Work and Kinetic Energy Problem

In summary: For the first part, Sinθ times the distance along the incline is the component of the displacement in the direction of the force. It is called the work done by the force. And for part d, if the block already has kinetic energy, the additional work would result in an increase in the kinetic energy.
maniacp08
A 6.0kg block slides 1.5m down a frictionless incline that makes an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal.

a) Find the work done by each force when the block slides 1.5m(measured along the incline)
b) What is the total work done on the block?
c) What is the speed of the block after it has slid 1.5m, if it starts from rest?
d) What is its speed after 1.5, if it starts from initial speed of 2.0m/s?

I drew a free body diagram and there are total of 3 forces.
Normal Force = 58.86 cos 60 = 29.43N
Force of gravity = 6.0 * -9.81 = -58.86N
Force parallel = 58.86 sin 60 = 50.97N

Work = F cos Theta * displacement

Do I need to incorporate the Cos Theta in the work equation below?
Will the work for these forces be:
Normal force = 29.43N * 1.5
Force of gravity = -58.86N * 1.5
Force Parallel = 50.97N * 1.5

Will the answer for B - the total work done be the sum of the Work from all the forces?

Is the answer for C related to F = MA?
Force parallel = M A
50.97N = 3 * A
A = 16.99 m/s^2

Using Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
Vf^2 = 0 + 2(16.99)(1.5)
Vf^2 = 50.97
Vf = 7.13 m/s

And for question D, is same kinematics equations but substitute 2.0m/s for initial velocity?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hmmmm...whenever I try to identify forces in a situation like this one, I ask myself "what is the object that is responsible for pushing or pulling the block?" Remember a component of a force isn't a separate force all by itself!

Absolutely! And remember, the "theta" in this equation is NOT the angle of the incline. It is related to the relationship between the direction of the force and the direction of displacement.

Will the answer for B - the total work done be the sum of the Work from all the forces?
Yes

Yes. Your analysis for C and D looks good.

Galileo's Ghost said:
Hmmmm...whenever I try to identify forces in a situation like this one, I ask myself "what is the object that is responsible for pushing or pulling the block?" Remember a component of a force isn't a separate force all by itself!

Since there is no force acting upon the object to slide down, the only force would be the force of gravity and it would be the parallel force but the parallel force is not considered a force?

Would you explain a bit more please, I am curious now.

Absolutely! And remember, the "theta" in this equation is NOT the angle of the incline. It is related to the relationship between the direction of the force and the direction of displacement.

It would be Cos 0 in this case correct?

maniacp08 said:
A 6.0kg block slides 1.5m down a frictionless incline that makes an angle of 60 degrees with the horizontal.

a) Find the work done by each force when the block slides 1.5m(measured along the incline)
b) What is the total work done on the block?
c) What is the speed of the block after it has slid 1.5m, if it starts from rest?
d) What is its speed after 1.5, if it starts from initial speed of 2.0m/s?

Normal Force = 58.86 cos 60 = 29.43N
Force of gravity = 6.0 * -9.81 = -58.86N
Force parallel = 58.86 sin 60 = 50.97N

Work = F cos Theta * displacement

Will the work for these forces be:
Normal force = 29.43N * 1.5
Force of gravity = -58.86N * 1.5
Force Parallel = 50.97N * 1.5

Force parallel = M A
50.97N = 3 * A
A = 16.99 m/s^2

Using Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad
Vf^2 = 0 + 2(16.99)(1.5)
Vf^2 = 50.97
Vf = 7.13 m/s

And for question D, is same kinematics equations but substitute 2.0m/s for initial velocity?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

How much work is done by the normal force on the block?

What is Sinθ times the distance along the incline? Do you recognize what that is?

For part c. If the block benefits from work, what does that translate into? (Hint: The title of your problem.)

Part d. If your block has kinetic energy already then what does the additional work result in?

Since there is no force acting upon the object to slide down, the only force would be the force of gravity and it would be the parallel force but the parallel force is not considered a force?

Gravity IS the force causing the object to slide down. What you are calling the "parallel force" is a component of the gravitational force, it is not a separate force unto itself. It is the portion of the gravitational force acting in the direction of the incline.

It would be Cos 0 in this case correct?

That depends. Cos 0 would apply if the force in question is in the direction of displacement. So, this would not be appropriate for something like the Normal force you identified.

So the forces are the Normal Force and Gravity.

The work done by gravity would be
-58.86N * Cos 0 * 1.5?

And the work done by Normal Force would be
58.86 Cos 60 * Cos 90 * 1.5?

For part c. If the block benefits from work, what does that translate into? (Hint: The title of your problem.)
It translate into Kinetic Energy
F * displacement = K(final) - K(initial)
So K(final) = F * Displacement + K(initial)?

What is Sinθ times the distance along the incline? Do you recognize what that is?Part d. If your block has kinetic energy already then what does the additional work result in?
Im sorry, I am confused on those two parts.

1. What is the relationship between work and kinetic energy?

The work-energy theorem states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the work done on an object is directly proportional to its change in kinetic energy.

2. How is work calculated in a kinetic energy problem?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force acting on an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. Can work and kinetic energy be negative in a problem?

Yes, work and kinetic energy can be negative in a problem. This typically occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative work value. Negative kinetic energy can also occur if the object is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the force applied.

4. What is the unit of measurement for work and kinetic energy?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J), which is also the unit for kinetic energy. This unit represents the amount of energy needed to apply a force of one Newton over a distance of one meter.

5. How does the work-energy theorem apply to real-world situations?

The work-energy theorem is applicable to many real-world situations, such as a car accelerating on a road or a rollercoaster moving along a track. In these situations, the work done by the engine or gravity is converted into kinetic energy, allowing the object to move. Additionally, this theorem is used in fields such as physics and engineering to calculate and analyze the motion of objects.