Constant Volume and Constant Pressure Batch Reactor

In summary: A,B,C) and use that to solve for the concentration.In summary, the fractional decrease in the concentration of A in reactors 1 and 2 after 5 minutes is 0.9 and 1.0 respectively. The total molar conversion of A in reactors 1 and 2 after 5 minutes is 18.2 and 21.6%
missmaria

Homework Statement

Consider the following two well-mixed, isothermal batch reactors for the elementary and irreversible decomposition of A to B, A[tex]\stackrel{k}{\rightarrow}[/tex]2B
reactor1: The reactor volume is constant (Pressure is variable)
reactor2: The reactor pressure is constant (Volume is variable)
Both reactors are charged with pure A at 1.0 atm and k=0.35min[tex]^{-1}[/tex]

a) what is the fractional decrease in the concentration of A in reactors 1 and 2 after 5 minutes?
b)what is the total molar conversion of A in reactors 1 and 2 after 5 minutes?

Homework Equations

Since reaction is first order: r[tex]_{A}[/tex]=-kC[tex]_{A}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so part a for a constant volume reactor was simple, since the ODE was easy and it turned out that [tex]\frac{C_{A}}{C_{A0}}[/tex]=exp(-kt)
but variable volume has me stumped. I figured out that -k=[tex]\frac{dC_{A}}{dt}[/tex]+([tex]\frac{1}{V}[/tex])([tex]\frac{dV}{dt}[/tex] but i don't know where to go from here.

I don't even know where to start for part b, please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is a bit complicated, but I remember it from my days as an undergraduate. You have to use a Laplacian transform of the Ideal Gas equation (assuming that T is high enough at 1atm to support this assumption). This should give you an equation for concentration in the form of a Gaussian, which, when integrated, will give an error function. You should work this out for yourself, but your answer should be of the form:

Ca / Cao = erf(-Vr * k * t)

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure i understand what exactly you mean, could you spell it out stepwise?

just kidding. You actually use the Ideal gas equation and (think about the assumptions made for the ideal gas law) calculate delta(V). Then, think about what Cj means

What is a constant volume batch reactor?

A constant volume batch reactor is a type of chemical reactor where reactants are added to a fixed volume of reaction vessel and allowed to react for a specific period of time. The volume of the reaction vessel remains constant throughout the reaction.

What is a constant pressure batch reactor?

A constant pressure batch reactor is a type of chemical reactor where reactants are added to a fixed volume of reaction vessel and the pressure is kept constant throughout the reaction. This is usually achieved by maintaining a constant gas flow in and out of the reactor.

What are the advantages of using a constant volume batch reactor?

One advantage of using a constant volume batch reactor is that it allows for better control over the reaction conditions, such as temperature and concentration. This can result in more consistent and reproducible results. Additionally, it is a simple and cost-effective method for carrying out reactions.

What are the advantages of using a constant pressure batch reactor?

A constant pressure batch reactor is particularly useful for reactions that involve gases, as it allows for better control over the pressure and gas flow. This can be important for reactions that are sensitive to changes in pressure. Additionally, it can help to maintain a more uniform reaction rate.

What are the main differences between a constant volume and constant pressure batch reactor?

The main difference between a constant volume and constant pressure batch reactor is in the way that the volume and pressure are controlled. In a constant volume reactor, the volume remains fixed while in a constant pressure reactor, the pressure is kept constant. This can have an impact on the reaction rate and product yield, depending on the specific reaction being carried out.