Finding Values of a & b for Differentiability of f(x)

In summary: For continuity, if you put x = 2, you get f(2) = 4a and = 4 + b,so your continuity equation is 4a = 4 + b.And similarly for differentiability you get f'(2) = 4a = -8.So … ? :smile:In summary, to find the values of constants a and b such that the function f(x) is differentiable on R, you must first set the two parts of the function equal to each other and then differentiate both sides. This will give you the value of a, which is -2. Then, by plugging in the values of a and x into the first equation and solving for b, you
souldoutt

Homework Statement

Find the values of the constants a and b such that the function f(x) is differentiable on R

Homework Equations

f(x) = ax2 if x < 2

f(x) = -4(x-3) + b if x >= 2

The Attempt at a Solution

ax2 = -4(x-3) + b
2xa = -4x
a = -2

I believe that I need to equate the equations but with a value of a how do I find b and then prove that it's differentiable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi souldoutt! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(however did you get 2xa = -4x? :confused:)

Hint: the only problem is at x = 2.

So just bung x = 2 in, and check for continuity and differentiability. :smile:

I got the 2xa = -4x by differentiating both sides.
But with 2 separate unknown constants, how would i solve for them? I can plug the value x = 2 into the equations but i won't get an answer to confirm whether the second part of the function is actually starting from x = 2.

Then wouldn't I still need to have the constants in order to check whether the slopes of the tangents are the same? (therefore differentiable)?

thanks for the welcome too.

souldoutt said:
I got the 2xa = -4x by differentiating both sides.
But with 2 separate unknown constants, how would i solve for them? I can plug the value x = 2 into the equations but i won't get an answer to confirm whether the second part of the function is actually starting from x = 2.

Then wouldn't I still need to have the constants in order to check whether the slopes of the tangents are the same? (therefore differentiable)?

Hi souldoutt! :smile:

For continuity, if you put x = 2, you get f(2) = 4a and = 4 + b,

so your continuity equation is 4a = 4 + b.

And similarly for differentiability you get f'(2) = 4a = -8.

So … ? :smile:

souldoutt said:

Homework Statement

Find the values of the constants a and b such that the function f(x) is differentiable on R

Homework Equations

f(x) = ax2 if x < 2

f(x) = -4(x-3) + b if x >= 2

The Attempt at a Solution

ax2 = -4(x-3) + b
2xa = -4x
a = -2
Yes, a must be -2. Now, you put a= -2 and x= 2 in the first equation you have -4= 4+ b. Solve for b.

I believe that I need to equate the equations but with a value of a how do I find b and then prove that it's differentiable?
To prove it is differentiable, with the correct values for a and b, Look at the difference quotient limit.

in the first equation you have -4= 4+ b.

It should be -8 instead of -4 right? Because it is ax2 which = -8 when the numbers are plugged in.

Then, once I have the values of a and b the difference quotient limit to check for differentiability is the difference quotient limit of the derivatives correct?

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable?

When a function is differentiable, it means that it is smooth and has a well-defined slope at every point on its graph. This allows us to calculate the rate of change of the function at any given point.

2. How do I determine the values of a and b for a differentiable function?

The values of a and b for a differentiable function can be determined by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. This will give you the critical points, which are the values of a and b that make the function differentiable.

3. Can a function be differentiable at a single point?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at a single point. This means that at that specific point, the function has a well-defined slope and is continuous, but it may not be differentiable at any other points.

4. What is the relationship between differentiability and continuity?

A function must be continuous in order to be differentiable. This means that the function has a smooth and unbroken graph without any gaps or jumps. However, not all continuous functions are differentiable.

5. How can I use the values of a and b to determine the differentiability of a function?

By plugging in the values of a and b into the derivative of the function, we can determine if the function is differentiable at those points. If the derivative exists and is defined, then the function is differentiable at that point.