Quick question on limits involving square roots

In summary, to solve the given limit, one can apply l'Hôpitals' rule after multiplying the top and bottom by √(6-x) +2/√(6-x) +2 to get 2-x on the top and square-roots on the bottom.
banfill_89

Homework Statement

lim (root*(6-x) -2)/(root*(3-x)-1)
x->2

Homework Equations

i know in a normal limit if a square root was on the top of bottom, you would multiply it and so on so on...but the fact that there is a square root on the top and the bottom is throwing me off.

The Attempt at a Solution

again, i multiplied the top and bottom by root*(6-x) +2/root*(6-x) +2...then that's as far as i get

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi banfill_89! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)
banfill_89 said:
lim (root*(6-x) -2)/(root*(3-x)-1)
x->2

again, i multiplied the top and bottom by root*(6-x) +2/root*(6-x) +2...then that's as far as i get

So you got 2 - x on the top, and nasty square-roots on the bottom …

so apply l'Hôpitals' rule! :wink:

1. What is a limit involving square roots?

A limit involving square roots is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a specific number. Square roots are often used in limits because they are a common mathematical function and can help determine the behavior of a function near a certain point.

2. How do you solve a limit involving square roots?

To solve a limit involving square roots, you can use algebraic manipulation, graphing, or numerical methods. Algebraic manipulation involves simplifying the expression by rationalizing the numerator or denominator, or using trigonometric identities. Graphing can help visualize the behavior of the function near the limit point. Numerical methods, such as substitution or L'Hospital's rule, can also be used to solve limits involving square roots.

3. Are there any special rules for limits involving square roots?

Yes, there are some special rules for limits involving square roots. One important rule is the power rule, which states that the limit of the square root of a function is equal to the square root of the limit of the function. Another rule is the product rule, which states that the limit of the product of two functions is equal to the product of the limits of the individual functions.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving limits involving square roots?

Some common mistakes when solving limits involving square roots include forgetting to rationalize the numerator or denominator, not considering the behavior of the function at the limit point, or using incorrect algebraic manipulations. It is important to carefully follow the rules for solving limits involving square roots and to check your work for any errors.

5. Why are limits involving square roots important?

Limits involving square roots are important because they allow us to understand the behavior of a function near a certain point. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, determining the convergence of a series, or calculating rates of change. Understanding limits involving square roots is crucial for advanced mathematical and scientific calculations.