How Do You Solve for Reactions in Shear and Moment Diagrams?

In summary, member AB is the hypotenuse of a 3:4:5 right triangle, which is not scaled on the drawing correctly, probably accounting for your error; the axial load is .6(R_A) = 23.74kN just up from A, and the shear load is .8(R_A) = 31.65kN at that point.
lunaticpimp12
kindly help me with this problem.

problem-1.jpg

i can't solve for the reactions and draw the shear and moment diagrams. can you solve it for me?

pls help me. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there, we don't solve problems here, we just try to help you solve them. Solve for the reactions using Newton's laws of equilbrium for forces in x direction, forces in y direction, and torques about any point, each of which must add to zero. The shear and moment diagrams , which then follow, are a bit time consuming. Please show some attempt, thanks.

i solve for the reactions and i got:

Reactions for E = 52.44 kN

Reactions for A = 39.56 kN

now my question is what is the shear diagram for the 5 kN/m. i got stuck when i draw it i got for the shear diagram of the reaction = 23.74 and i don't know how to draw for the 5kN/m. thanks.

lunaticpimp12 said:
i solve for the reactions and i got:

Reactions for E = 52.44 kN

Reactions for A = 39.56 kN

now my question is what is the shear diagram for the 5 kN/m. i got stuck when i draw it i got for the shear diagram of the reaction = 23.74 and i don't know how to draw for the 5kN/m. thanks.
Your reactions look good, but member AB is the hypotenuse of a 3:4:5 right triangle, which is not scaled on the drawing correctly, probably accounting for your error; the axial load is .6(R_A) = 23.74kN just up from A, and the shear load is .8(R_A) = 31.65kN at that point.

Drawing the shear diagram on AB, it starts at +31.65 at A, continues with that constant value up to the distributed 5kN/m load, at (2,1.5), that is, at 2.5m along the member. At this point, you need to change the 5kN/m load into its axial and shear components (4kN/m shear distributed load), and note that dV/dx = -q, that is, the slope of the shear diagram now becomes 4KN/m within that distributed 4 m long load segment, so at the end of it, the shear is now 15.65kN. Now painstakingly continue, cutting FBD's every now and then to check your numbers and your sanity.

i got it now it should be 3.2 kN/m and i got it all correctly. anyways thanks for the help.

1. What is a shear and moment diagram?

A shear and moment diagram is a graphical representation of the shear and bending moment at various points along a structural element, such as a beam or column. It helps to visualize the internal forces and moments acting on the element and is used to analyze and design structures.

2. How do I create a shear and moment diagram?

To create a shear and moment diagram, you will need to follow a few steps. First, determine the external loads and reactions acting on the element. Then, calculate the shear and bending moment at various points using equations or diagrams. Finally, plot the values on a graph with the location on the x-axis and the shear and moment on the y-axis.

3. What is the importance of a shear and moment diagram in structural analysis?

A shear and moment diagram is crucial in structural analysis as it helps to determine the internal forces and moments that a structural element is subjected to. This information is necessary to ensure that the element can withstand the applied loads and is properly designed to avoid failure.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when creating a shear and moment diagram?

Some common mistakes to avoid when creating a shear and moment diagram include not considering all the external loads and reactions, not calculating the correct values for shear and moment, and not correctly plotting the values on the diagram. It is essential to double-check all calculations and ensure they are accurate before graphing the results.

5. Are there any software or tools available to help with creating shear and moment diagrams?

Yes, there are various software and tools available that can assist with creating shear and moment diagrams. These include structural analysis software, spreadsheet programs, and online tools. However, it is essential to have a good understanding of the underlying principles and equations before relying solely on these tools.