Nick's Search for Streaming Time in Hobby Rocket Engines

In summary, Nick is building a device to test the maximum thrust of hobby rocket engines and is looking for a way to record "streaming time" at certain intervals. He is also considering using Ham Radio Telemetry or GPS receivers to track the rocket's position and calculate acceleration.
capslockroxx
Hello, I am building a device that tests the maximum thrust of hobby rocket engines, and I need to know if there is any way to get "streaming time." Time that is recorded at certain intervals. Can someone give me a link?

Thanks!
~Nick

Engineering news on Phys.org
capslockroxx said:
Hello, I am building a device that tests the maximum thrust of hobby rocket engines, and I need to know if there is any way to get "streaming time." Time that is recorded at certain intervals. Can someone give me a link?

Thanks!
~Nick

Need a little more info in order to help. Do you mean you want to record the rocket's position as a function of time in order to calculate backwards to the acceleration?

Keep in mind too that the acceleration of the rocket will change as its mass goes down as the rocket fuel burns off. If you are looking to test max thrust, that is probably best done in a fixed horizontal test fixture.

I did some searching on Ham Radio Telemetry for model rockets. Didn't find much. I do have a friend in KC that plays with model rocket telemetry. W0AFQ

dlgoff said:
I did some searching on Ham Radio Telemetry for model rockets. Didn't find much. I do have a friend in KC that plays with model rocket telemetry. W0AFQ

Interesting angle -- I didn't think of that. I have some dirtbiking friends who can play back their rides on Google Earth maps of the terrain. Very, very cool. With a GPS receiver/recorder on a rocket, they should be able to play back some cool 3-D tracks over Google Earth pics...

1. What is "Nick's Search for Streaming Time in Hobby Rocket Engines" about?

"Nick's Search for Streaming Time in Hobby Rocket Engines" is a scientific study that explores the effects of streaming time on hobby rocket engines. It aims to understand how different streaming times affect the thrust, burn rate, and overall performance of these engines.

2. Why is this study important?

This study is important because hobby rocket engines are widely used by amateur rocket enthusiasts, and understanding how streaming time affects their performance can help improve safety and efficiency in this hobby. It can also provide valuable insights for future research and development in the field of rocketry.

3. What methods were used in this study?

The study used a combination of experimental and observational methods. Different streaming times were tested on various hobby rocket engines, and their thrust and burn rate were measured and compared. The study also included observations of the engines' performance during actual launches.

4. What were the results of the study?

The results showed that streaming time does have a significant impact on the performance of hobby rocket engines. Longer streaming times resulted in a higher maximum thrust, but also a longer burn time. This suggests that there is a trade-off between thrust and burn time, and the optimal streaming time may vary depending on the specific engine and its intended use.

5. What are the implications of this study?

The implications of this study are that hobby rocket enthusiasts should carefully consider the streaming time they use for their engines in order to achieve the desired performance. It also highlights the need for further research in this area to fully understand the effects of streaming time on hobby rocket engines and potentially improve their design and efficiency.