VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Footprints in time

In summary, there was low turnout this week, and the vote went to ZapperZ with Feet like That. The contest thread has a suggestion thread for photo contest topics if you have any ideas. The winner of the contest was not announced, but it seems that misgfool won.

Vote

• Binzing

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • ZapperZ

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Low turn out this week. Vote for the best.

1.Binzing
SmoothSteps.jpg

2.ZapperZ
img3171s.jpg

Contest thread

Physics news on Phys.org
I voted for ZapperZ, with feet like that i would be crazy not to.

I liked Binzing's photo. The water was a nice touch.

Thank you Wellesley.

Love the hazy blues, makes me want to go to the beach.

hypatia said:

Yeah, I really wish I was in the Northwest right now...

It's almost more difficult with less choice than more, isn't it? Both are excellent, evocative shots. I'll have to remember to take photos of feets in sand.

What exactly IS zapperz photo of?

GeorginaS said:
I'll have to remember to take photos of feets in sand.

We (Marzena and I) both have ready pictures, we were just late :cry:

any more voters?

matthyaouw said:
any more voters?

I'll vote (again)! :wink:

hypatia said:

I think there's a problem with the whitebalance. :uhh:

matthyaouw said:
any more voters?

I wouldn't wish to be too blunt, but could we get any interesting contest topics?

matthyaouw said:
There is a suggestion thread for photo contest themes if you've got any ideas :smile:

Apparently there is no point in it. So the next topic in line was "an unopened cardboard box" and after that "a tree that stands straight in a forest"?

I mean these are good topics for a fine arts gallery, but for this forum there could be a little bit more entertainment value.

misgfool said:
Apparently there is no point in it. So the next topic in line was "an unopened cardboard box" and after that "a tree that stands straight in a forest"?

I mean these are good topics for a fine arts gallery, but for this forum there could be a little bit more entertainment value.

Was it? That's news to me.

If you have ideas then feel free to give them, otherwise this is a tad pointless.

matthyaouw said:
If you have ideas then feel free to give them, otherwise this is a tad pointless.

I... can't... you.. are.. breakiiiiinnng... my... stress... toyyyyy...

Vote for me! Lol.

misgfool: As someone who actually enters this contest on a regular basis, I prefer topics that DO lean more towards the type of stuff you'd find in a gallery, as opposed to some nonsensical thing that is "entertaining". A good photograph IS entertaining.

binzing said:
Vote for me! Lol.

misgfool: As someone who actually enters this contest on a regular basis, I prefer topics that DO lean more towards the type of stuff you'd find in a gallery, as opposed to some nonsensical thing that is "entertaining". A good photograph IS entertaining.

What is a good photograph?

misgfool said:
What is a good photograph?

binzing said:
SmoothSteps.jpg

On the Columbia River about 40 miles from the ocean. I forget the name of the park, its posted with some of my other pics from the same area.

:biggrin:

Wellesley said:
:biggrin:

Ok, what makes it good?

misgfool said:
Ok, what makes it good?

First off, it depends on an individual's taste and opinions. Everyone likes different photos. This photo is appealing to me because it shows a nature scene with a large body of water and a beach. Plus, it just looks cool.

matthyaouw said:
any more voters?

Who won the contest?

Wellesley said:
First off, it depends on an individual's taste and opinions. Everyone likes different photos. This photo is appealing to me because it shows a nature scene with a large body of water and a beach. Plus, it just looks cool.

You sure don't demand much. Let's see. I have seen a gazillion pictures like this before. The image isn't very sharp. A bigfoot, the one with small feet, has been walking there quite recently. Nothing new in that. There isn't beautiful half-naked woman on the beach. I'm not there courting her.

See I already found 3 flaws, 1 major flaw and 1 really really major flaw in the picture.

misgfool said:
You sure don't demand much. Let's see. I have seen a gazillion pictures like this before. The image isn't very sharp. A bigfoot, the one with small feet, has been walking there quite recently. Nothing new in that. There isn't beautiful half-naked woman on the beach. I'm not there courting her.

See I already found 3 flaws, 1 major flaw and 1 really really major flaw in the picture.

Flaws in your eyes, due to your preferences and tastes. Really, if you don't like either picture, don't vote. Don't enter if you don't like the contests. It's really quite simple, no need to be a jerk to everyone else.

Wellesley said:
Plus, it just looks cool.

That's because of the faulty white balance :rofl:

binzing said:
Flaws in your eyes, due to your preferences and tastes. Really, if you don't like either picture, don't vote. Don't enter if you don't like the contests. It's really quite simple, no need to be a jerk to everyone else.

:smile: You really are an artist. I was merely trying to give humble advice what I as a scientist must, but have it your way.

Wellesley said:
Who won the contest?

It's a tie this week.

Original:

SmoothSteps.jpg

This is slightly corrected, I suppose that's more like it looked in reality:

binzing_SmoothSteps.jpg

misgfool said:
:smile: You really are an artist. I was merely trying to give humble advice what I as a scientist must, but have it your way.

Haha, ok. Well thank you.

Borek said:
Original:

SmoothSteps.jpg

This is slightly corrected, I suppose that's more like it looked in reality:

binzing_SmoothSteps.jpg

I could have played with it a lot, I chose not to. I like the darker version, its more realistic as to being in the Northwest.

My take is that the bluish tint is just an error in the white balance settings, so in a way the picture you have posted is the one that was "played with".

This is a beach picture taken this year. Notice similar weather. It was saved in RAW so I can select which preset white balance will be applied. This is daylight:

beach_daylight.jpg

This is fluorescent light, slightly tuned:

beach_fluorescent.jpg

This bluish tint doesn't look realistic and is very similar to the one on your picture. Upper picture is much closer to the reality.

misgfool said:

You asked a question:
Ok, what makes it good?
I answered it with my opinion. There is no right or wrong answer.
Wellesley said:

Borek said:
My take is that the bluish tint is just an error in the white balance settings, so in a way the picture you have posted is the one that was "played with".

This bluish tint doesn't look realistic and is very similar to the one on your picture. Upper picture is much closer to the reality.

I think if you use the tungsten light white balance setting it tries to compensate for the yellow in the bulb by making the photo more blue, so that it looks natural under that lighting. If you leave it on that setting, it turns the picture blue when taking pictures with outdoor sunlight.

How did you fix the colour Borek? I tried to fix the colours of a flower and insect but had no success with that. I forgot to change the whitebalance setting to, "sunlight."

~christina~ said:
How did you fix the colour Borek?

I am using Digital Photo Profesional that I got with my Canon. If the picture is saved in RAW format, I can apply any white balance I want. To some extent it allows me to work with JPGs also, but then I can't use presets.

It can be also done using Photoshop. I have seen it done by an experienced photoshopper, but it was eons ago and I don't remember any details :(