Is gravity driving the expansion of the universe? If so

In summary, the expansion of the universe is being driven by gravity and, based on current understanding, the universe is in free fall towards a hypothetical larger mass. Trying to come to terms with what's actually driving the expansion is hard, but when I think about it, gravitational acceleration would be a possible answer to my un-educated mind. I can easilly come to terms with Einstein's universe, where the big bang starts off violent, but then slows down and eventually collapses in on it's self. But to comprehend that the universe is actually accelerating is hard for me to come to terms with unless I think of it in this way.
NWH
Is gravity driving the exapansion of the universe? If so, would it be safe to assume that the universe is in fact in free fall towards a (hypothetical) larger "body" of mass? Trying to come to terms with what's actually driving the expansion is hard, but when I think about it, gravitational acceleration would be a possible answer to my un-educated mind. I can easilly come to terms with Einstein's universe, where the big bang starts off violent, but then slows down and eventually collapses in on it's self. But to comprehend that the universe is actually accelerating is hard for me to come to terms with unless I think of it in this way.

Space news on Phys.org
No, the Universe is not falling anywhere. When we speak of an accelerated Universe, we mean that we can observe that Galaxies far away not only move away from us (no matter in what direction we look), but they are doing so in a way that the speed with they move away at, increases with time. Note that an observer living in any other Galaxy would observe exactly the same thing.
And yes, the current understanding is that gravity is responsible for this. You are right when you say you are having trouble to comprehend this, because it needs a component with very unusual properties: Dark Energy. This dark energy, which we don't have a clue what it is, has to have negative pressure and therefore acts like anti-gravity, driving the universe apart.

if you need to think of something "driving" the pattern of expanding distances, try thinking that general relativity is driving.

And think of GR not as a theory of gravity but as a theory of dynamic geometry. It explains why we observe the geometric relations we do, where we do, and how geometry changes.
It explains, for example, why in most places and situations, the sum of the angles is 180, and pythagoras, and stuff like that. And explains why and how distances between apparently stationary things can increase, when GR says, and decrease when they have to. All this contained in the idea of curvature.

The main GR equation tells how geometry evolves. And once it gets started expanding, the equation makes it continue (although the eq. allows it to speed up gradually or slow down, depending on stuff etc.)

Try thinking that way, as dynamic geometry. See how it works.
====================

Try saying to yourself "geometry is autonomous."

You should realize that except for small random motions the galaxies are not moving.

Most galaxies we can see have redshift z > 1.7. And if a galaxy has redshift over 1.7 then the distance to it is increasing at a rate faster than c. So the distance to a typical galaxy is increasing faster than c. But the galaxy is not going anywhere, it is not ordinary motion where the galaxy would be approaching some destination. It is simply distances between stationary objects changing as required by the Law of Geometry. (the main GR equation, that is)
======================

In school, 14-year-olds learn pythadoras and that triangles add up to 180 degrees, which is approximately true at least in this neighborhood of space, and a very useful approximation---what it says is that locally our space is approximately FLAT.

But they aren't told why it is flat.

It is flat because the density is about right for flatness. The main GR equation explains what makes it flat, and what the critical density has to be.

At the present epoch the average largescale density has to be about 0.86 nanojoules per cubic meter. If it were significantly different then you wouldn't have pythagoras or 180 degrees.

GR says there are reasons for basic features of how things are, why are that way. Off hand you have no right to expect some things to be true that you learn as a 14 year old, without something causing them to be that way.

And you can't expect distances to stay the same, because they evolve according to a pattern as part of autonomously evolving geometry. (which the initial conditions and the density of matter does influence!)

Last edited:
Excelent post, thank you!

What is the current scientific understanding of the expansion of the universe?

The current scientific understanding is that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. This expansion is driven by a force known as dark energy, which makes up a significant portion of the universe's total energy. This expansion is also affected by the force of gravity, which can either slow down or speed up the expansion depending on the density of matter in the universe.

How does gravity affect the expansion of the universe?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the expansion of the universe. On a large scale, the force of gravity acts as a counterforce to the expansion, pulling matter and energy back together. On a smaller scale, gravity can cause the formation of galaxies and other structures, which can also influence the overall expansion of the universe.

Is gravity the main driving force behind the expansion of the universe?

No, gravity is not the main driving force behind the expansion of the universe. While it does play a significant role, the expansion is primarily driven by dark energy. This force is thought to be responsible for the universe's accelerated expansion and is currently being studied by scientists to better understand its nature and effects.

Why is it important to study the relationship between gravity and the expansion of the universe?

Studying the relationship between gravity and the expansion of the universe helps us to better understand the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of the universe. It also has practical applications, such as predicting the future of the universe and developing more accurate models of the cosmos.

What are some current research efforts focused on the role of gravity in the expansion of the universe?

Scientists are currently conducting various research efforts to study the role of gravity in the expansion of the universe. Some of these include mapping the distribution of matter in the universe, studying the effects of gravity on the cosmic microwave background, and using gravitational lensing to observe distant galaxies and their motions. These studies are helping to improve our understanding of the universe's expansion and the role of gravity in this process.