Dial-up modem and Network card

• Thread starter incognito-41
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Network
In summary: Did you install the drivers? TCP/ip protocol in network settings? Configure it in network settings for the type of connection?... were to install a wireless network card into a computer that already has a dial-up modem, it would not cause any problems.If one... installed a wireless network card into a computer that already has a dial-up modem, there should be no problem. Did you install the drivers? TCP/ip protocol in network settings? Configure it in network settings for the type of connection?If one... installed a wireless network card into a computer
incognito-41
If one was to install a wireless network card into a computer that already has a dial-up modem, would that cause any problems. A friend of mine is having trouble connecting to the internet with the card. He's already set the internet options to automatically detect a LAN. The card recognizes the signal but no internet. Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Dunno,
Is the dial-up modem the only connection to the Internet?
If so, perhaps the computer with the modem must first be connected to the Internet, following which the computer with the wireless is able to gain access.

I don't have much experience with any of that so I'm just guessing, but I believe you must configure the computer with the dial-up to accept connection sharing.

Good luck

incognito-41 said:
If one was to install a wireless network card into a computer that already has a dial-up modem, would that cause any problems. A friend of mine is having trouble connecting to the internet with the card. He's already set the internet options to automatically detect a LAN. The card recognizes the signal but no internet. Thanks.
No, it shouldn't be an issue. Did you install the drivers? TCP/ip protocol in network settings? Configure it in network settings for the type of connection?

The dialup modem and the nic card are in the same computer. he's trying to switch to a wireless router and was wondering if having both in one computer would cause a problem. my girlfriend had a modem and nic card in her computer one time and the modem ended up getting fried for now reason. no storms or lightning. i thought that may have been causing the problem. i told him to take out the modem and give it another try.

Nope, it will definitely not cause a problem. My laptop has a dialup modem, a wireless card and a regular ethernet card, and they all work fine.

I assume that if once the router is there, you won't be using the dialup anymore, right? Or are you going to share the dialup connection via the wireless network? If so, you might run into some troubles (Windows has a tendency to screw up connection sharing), but it definitely won't blow up any components.

i have a dial up modem and a wireless card and so does my brother. They work just fine. and we are able to share my dial up connection. (my machine is xp and has a connection sharing feature build into the operating system). It works just fine. So its possible.

If you only have one computer there should be no need for a wireless network. If you are just using one machine and are just trying to get the wireless card working properly, then it shouldn't be too difficult. Plug the phone cord into the modem in the back of your computer and from there to the wall. Make sure you are able to browse online. Then access your wireless connection (usually on the bottom right of the task bar or in All Programs from the Start menu, or under Network Connections in the Control Panel if it's in Classic view, or in Network and Internet Connections and then Network Connections if the Control Panel is in Category View). The wireless connection should have the connection that your wireless router is broadcasting. Click it, and you can configure it, then choose to Connect with it. And voiala! You should be online. For further trouble-shooting you should probably contact the vender of the wireless router and make sure it's compatible with your card (ie. 802.11b or g). Sorry this was wordy. Hope this helps.

No this is not a problem... Your PPP dialup and your 802.11 connection will be issued IP addresses (PPP for sure, your WIFI link will also be issued an IP address if DHCP is setup on your access point). Is your WIFI access point connected to some sort of broadband Internet connection? If so why would you want to keep you slower PPP dial up. I would just disable the PPP dial up and use your WIFI link.

Perhaps you are trying to set up an "ad hoc" WIFI connection between 2 PC's and have one of these PCs act as a lightweight router for your PPP connection. If this is the case, then it will also work. In Windows you will have to ICS (internet connection Share) your PPP connection and this will turn the PC into a lightweight router (actually a NAT device). And you should be able to get on the Internet. I ahve seen problems with this only when people start creating network bridges (which are not needed).

Anyway Good luck :-)

incognito-41 said:
It sounds to me as though you have set it up to connect to the internet through a LAN.

I have a LAN at home, one PC is connected to in internet with a dialup modem, then it's connected to the network via a 10/100 network card and has internet connection sharing enabled.
The other PC is connected to it via a home made X-cable, it's this PC that has to detect an internet connection via the network.

Does this help?

incognito-41 said:

I am in a similar situation. I have a desktop PC w/ WindowsXP Professional set up with a wireless network card getting Internet from my home network wireless router. I often call lists of people on the telephone, and I want to add a dialup modem to my computer so I can use the computer to autodial the telephone for me. When I add the dialup modem card, my internet is still connected, but the speed is reduced to about 1/10th of the broadband speed I'm accustomed to. Does anyone know how to make the two communications connections compatible?

What is a dial-up modem?

A dial-up modem is a hardware device that allows a computer to connect to the internet through a telephone line. It converts the digital signals from the computer into analog signals that can be transmitted over the telephone line, and vice versa.

What is a network card?

A network card, also known as a network interface card or NIC, is a hardware component that enables a computer to connect to a network. It allows the computer to send and receive data over the network, and is essential for accessing the internet or other networked devices.

How does a dial-up modem work?

When a computer initiates a dial-up connection, the modem dials a phone number provided by the internet service provider (ISP) and establishes a connection with the ISP's server. This server then connects the computer to the internet, allowing it to send and receive data.

Do all computers need a dial-up modem and network card?

No, not all computers require a dial-up modem and network card. Many modern computers come with built-in network cards and can access the internet through a wired or wireless connection. However, a dial-up modem and network card are necessary for computers that do not have built-in network capabilities, such as older computers or some laptops.

Are dial-up modems and network cards still in use?

While dial-up modems and network cards were once the primary means of accessing the internet, they have become less common and are now mostly used in remote or rural areas where other forms of internet connection are not available. Most internet users now rely on high-speed internet connections such as cable, DSL, or fiber optic.