What is the static COF for rubber on steel?

In summary, The conversation is about finding data for the static coefficient of friction for rubber on steel. The participants are discussing their experiences and possible sources for the information. One participant has found a website that states the COF is 0.7, while another believes it could be higher due to the variety in materials. The main goal is to determine the COF before investing money in designing a combat robot.
Mech King
Hello all,

im trying to find some data for the static COF for rubber on steel. I have been looking hard but can only find info for rubber on concrete and other non metals.

I am doing the initial sums for a combat robot I am designing, but want to get the figures sorted out before i spend any money.

Best Regards,

Mech King

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can only find lubricated, sliding COF for those surfaces in my references. It's 0.05.

Hi brewnog, thanks for the reply.

Ye i's on of those combinations of materials that you would expectt here to be lots of info for the COF, but suprisingly not.

I have assumed a COF of about 0.9 to 1 for a rubber go kart wheel on a steel surface. I cannot find any exact grade of steel for the combat surface in the fighting robot standard.

Its always been one of those "suck it and see" areas for me (please excuse metaphor).

Cheers

Last edited:
This website here says Rubber on steel static friction coeff = 0.7

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2005/steel.shtml

maybe this will help too. You may just want to make up your own experiment.
http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/sef/steel-rubber-friction-t-460.html

I'd believe 0.7 (0.9 sounds very optimistic).

Cheers for the responses guys, 0.7 sounds like the winner, i iwll have a closer look at these links aswell,

Thanks

Mech King

In addition, there are lots of different grades of rubber and lots of different grades and finishes of steel, so the COF will probably have a pretty wide range.

What is COF for rubber on steel?

COF stands for coefficient of friction, and it is a measure of the amount of resistance between two surfaces when they are in contact with each other. In this case, it refers to the amount of friction between rubber and steel surfaces.

Why is COF important for rubber on steel?

COF is important because it affects the performance and durability of rubber on steel applications. A high COF can lead to excessive wear and tear on the rubber, while a low COF can cause slippage and reduce the effectiveness of the rubber in its intended use.

How is COF for rubber on steel measured?

COF can be measured using a device called a tribometer, which simulates the contact between two surfaces and measures the resulting friction. The COF is typically given as a decimal or percentage value, with lower values indicating lower friction.

What factors can affect COF for rubber on steel?

There are several factors that can affect the COF for rubber on steel, including the type of rubber and steel used, the surface finishes of both materials, the temperature and humidity, and the amount of pressure or load applied on the surfaces.

How can COF for rubber on steel be optimized?

COF can be optimized by selecting the most suitable types of rubber and steel for the application, ensuring proper surface finishes, and controlling environmental conditions. Lubricants or coatings can also be used to reduce COF and improve overall performance.