Pendulum Frequency Calculation

• Thread starter dance_sg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary: I know what a period is, and I know it is the time it takes for an oscillator to complete one cycle. The pendulum completes one cycle every 0.150 s.
dance_sg

Homework Statement

A pendulum is pulled to the side and released. What is its frequency if it passes through its rest position 0.150 s after it is released?

Homework Equations

f=1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

im not too sure, but in this equation, is all i do is divide one by 0.150 s?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is it's rest position? Where the pendulum started, or where it would be after friction dissipates all of the energy?

Can you figure out T from the given information? Hint: How is T defined?

0.150 is T is it not?

It could be. I guess it depends on the meaning of "rest position". If it means "instantaneous rest", then there are two such positions, one on each side of the swing. So T could be either 0.150 s for a full swing to "rest" position or 0.300 s for half a swing to the "rest" position. A third possibility, as Feldoh suggested, is that "rest position" means the equilibrium position. In this case 0.150 s is a quarter of T and T is 0.600 s. It is confusing, I know, but "rest" position is an unconventional word in this context.

dance_sg said:
0.150 is T is it not?

It is not (assuming the rest position is when the pendulum is hanging vertically).

ok i understand what a rest position is, but i still don't understand how that helps me figure out the question.

How is the frequency (which is what you are asked to find out) defined?

1/T = F and the units for period is S

What is the period, then? Describe it in words.

the time it takes an object to make one complete cycle

And what is one cycle? Describe, in words, the pendulum's motion for one cycle.

I was just about to post that question.

Given the wording of the question, the pendulum reaches the rest position after 0.150 s, I think this must mean it reaches the other side of the swing after 0.150s .

Define the time period T and will see what the time period is.

arg I am lost

Just imagine the trajectory of the pendulum. You pull it to one side and let go. It swings down, passes the vertical, and goes up on the other side, reaches a maximum, then comes down again past the vertical and back up to the starting point (where you let it go). Then it repeats that motion indefinitely (assuming no friction).

In those terms what is the period?

Are there any symmetries you can use, given the information you already have?

Well what is the definition of the the Time period of an oscillator (in this case a pendulum). Google it if you don't know or one of your textbooks. Without that clear in your head it is difficult for us to help you.

What is the frequency of a pendulum?

The frequency of a pendulum is the number of oscillations or swings it makes in a given amount of time. This is typically measured in swings per second, or Hertz (Hz).

How do you calculate the frequency of a pendulum?

The frequency of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula: frequency = 1 / period, where the period is the time it takes for one complete oscillation. The period can be measured by timing the pendulum for a certain number of swings and then dividing that time by the number of swings.

What factors affect the frequency of a pendulum?

The frequency of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the strength of gravity. A longer pendulum will have a slower frequency, while a heavier pendulum bob will have a faster frequency. Changes in gravity, such as on different planets or at different altitudes, will also affect the frequency of a pendulum.

Why does the frequency of a pendulum decrease over time?

The frequency of a pendulum will decrease over time due to the effects of air resistance and friction. As the pendulum swings back and forth, it encounters resistance from the air and friction at the pivot point, causing it to eventually slow down and decrease in frequency.

Can the frequency of a pendulum be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a pendulum can be changed by altering the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, or the strength of gravity. These changes will affect the period of the pendulum, and therefore, its frequency. Additionally, external forces such as pushing or pulling on the pendulum can also change its frequency.