Professors suspected of Ph.D. bribes

In summary: I would think that would be an incredibly obvious red flag to his colleagues. In summary, an investigation in Germany has revealed that 100 professors, including one who was sentenced to three years in prison, have been involved in accepting bribes for serving as faculty advisors to over 60 doctoral students. The professor involved confessed to taking nearly euro200,000 for this role, claiming the money was needed to renovate his Hamburg mansion. This situation is disappointing and surprising, as it involves such a large number of individuals and raises questions about the checks and balances in place for doctoral students in the German university system. It also brings up concerns about the
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
This is really disappointing!

Germany: 100 professors suspected of Ph.D. bribes
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090822/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_university_investigation

Well - academicians are only human. So much for the Ivory Towers.

. . . .
The professor, whose name was also not released, was found guilty as well and sentenced to three years in prison for accepting the bribes.

The professor confessed in court to accepting nearly euro200,000 to serve as a faculty adviser to more than 60 doctorate students between 1998 and 2005.

The professor said he needed the money to renovate his Hamburg mansion.
:frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
He needed to renovate his Hamburgh mansion.

Wow, what a need.

What a disapointment.

Disappointing, and really surprising so many are involved. I'd be disappointed, but less surprised, to find out there was one or two bad apples, as there are in every profession. But 100? That's shocking!

What's also odd is the article states the people involved were mostly teaching on contracts, not full time professors. I'm surprised they are even allowed to take on a Ph.D. student. That's certainly something quite different from the US universities I've worked at where you need to be tenure-track and voted in as a member of the graduate faculty in order to be allowed to supervise a student (mostly, this is done for stability to ensure that students don't end up suddenly without a mentor when someone's contract isn't renewed).

Do they also not have dissertation committees? Again, the US system, and I think the Canadian system as well, require students have a dissertation committee, not just one supervisor. I don't know if official committees exist in other countries, but I do know they at least ask for impartial "readers" for the dissertations from outside their own institutions. All of this is again done so there isn't just one person making the decision whether a student is ready to graduate with a Ph.D. It's supposed to both protect the student from a mentor who might delay their graduation for selfish reasons of keeping a good student doing more work for them longer, as well as to protect the faculty member when a student isn't cut out for the degree and it's more than one person "ruining the life" of the student. But, it's also supposed to help avoid impropriety like this, because it's not just one person you need to please with your work, but a committee of several, anyone of whom can intervene and say you are not ready yet.

I guess the real question then arises...did these students demonstrate sufficient competence to earn their degree? Clearly there was motivation of their primary mentor to push them through and get them to graduate whether earned or not, but were the other checks and balances in place to ensure these students did manage to earn their degree, in spite of the impropriety of their professor?

If the students weren't aware of the bribes (i.e., they thought they were paying to get help with the application process only), and really did do the work they needed to do to earn their degree, I'd feel very sorry for them to now have their credentials tainted by this.

The other question is how did it go on so long without getting reported sooner? How many others turned down the bribes, but remained complicit by not reporting the offer?

It sounds like it was a huge scam, a diploma mill of some kind and that the students were simply unaware of the bribes.

200,000 euro? Mansion? Professor? 200,000euro does not renovate a "mansion" and why would a professor have one (he could be old money maybe)

1. What is the issue with professors suspected of Ph.D. bribes?

The issue is that these professors are being investigated for potentially accepting bribes in exchange for granting Ph.D. degrees to students who did not meet the necessary academic requirements.

2. How did the suspicion of Ph.D. bribes arise?

The suspicion arose from reports and evidence of irregularities in the granting of Ph.D. degrees, such as students with low grades or incomplete coursework receiving their degrees.

3. What are the potential consequences for the professors involved?

The consequences can vary depending on the institution and the severity of the case. It could range from suspension or termination of employment to legal action and revocation of their Ph.D. degrees.

4. How does this impact the academic community?

This type of scandal can damage the reputation of the academic community and erode public trust in the integrity of higher education. It can also harm the future prospects of students who worked hard to earn their degrees.

5. What measures can be taken to prevent Ph.D. bribery in the future?

Institutions can implement stricter guidelines and oversight for the Ph.D. granting process, including thorough evaluations of students' academic progress and involvement of multiple faculty members in the evaluation process. Additionally, there should be consequences for any faculty members found guilty of accepting bribes.

Back