Predict the equation for the period of a pendulum

In summary, in this conversation, the speaker discusses their lab on pendulums and their observations regarding the properties of mass, horizontal displacement, and length. They also mention their attempts to derive the equation for the period of a pendulum and ask for guidance. Another person provides a clear explanation and derivation of the formula using torque and acceleration, and suggests comparing the results with the known formula for further validation. The original speaker expresses gratitude for the help and believes their approach will lead to a successful outcome.
soccergirl14
I did a lab on pendulums and I need to answer the following:
Examine the experimental evidence in regards to each of the properties of the pendulum, mass, horizontal displacement and length. Predict the equation for the period of a pendulum and calculate it based on your observations.

The data I have to work with is:
-I have different horizontal displacements and the periods for each displacement
-I have different masses and the periods for each mass
-I have different pendulum lengths and the periods for each length

In this lab, I observed that neither the horizontal displacement or the mass had an effect on the period of a pendulum.

I found this page ( http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/pend.html#c4 ) that works out the steps for deriving the period of a pendulum, but I, nor any classmates of mine, have been introduced to calculus yet so I am assuming that is not the way I am supossed to derive this equation.

I graphed out the period squared vs the pendulum length and they are proportional.

If anyone could help with with some sort of direction to go in creating the equation of a pendulum I would really appreciate it!
Thanks (:

Physics news on Phys.org

So I am guessing that you are asking for the equation of motion for the pendulum.

Start out with the first law for torque

[tex] T = I\alpha [/tex]

For the pendulum the moment of intertia is

[tex] I = L^2m [/tex]

So what are the torques on the pendulum? If you draw out the free body diagram (or look on the site) and use a little trignometry you find that there is one due to gravity

[tex] T = -mgL\sin\theta [/tex]

Combining the two equations gives you

[tex] L^2m\alpha = -mgL\sin\theta [/tex]

Now here is the one part where a very little bit of calculus comes in. Acceleration is the second derivative of displacement with respect to time. This can be written

[tex] \alpha = \frac{d^2\theta}{dt} [/tex]

Another relation you need to use is that for small angles the following is true

[tex] \sin\theta = \theta [/tex]

Combing the previous three equations and rearranging gives

[tex] \frac{d^2\theta}{dt} + \frac{g}{L}\theta = 0 [/tex]

Which is the equation of motion for the pendulum.

I graphed out the period squared vs the pendulum length and they are proportional.
Then you have the formula: T² = kL
(the quantity on the vertical axis = slope x quantity on horizontal axis)
It would be nice to express the slope constant in terms of g, but that would be working backward from the answer. Unless you have the means to do the experiment under different g conditions!

I think I may have been unclear in my explanation, I THINK I am trying to get to the equation:
b3129742fed41e2f6d2e6962c78a3cdc.png

Is there any way I can get there from T^2=kL?
Or am I completely in the wrong direction?

Thanks for the replies (:

Take the square root of both sides.
You might compare your slope value with the 4π²/g from the formula and find the % difference.

Mbaboy, that is the nicest derivation of the formula I've seen! Thank you very much.

Delphi51 said:
Take the square root of both sides.
You might compare your slope value with the 4π²/g from the formula and find the % difference.

Mbaboy, that is the nicest derivation of the formula I've seen! Thank you very much.

I think that will work out quite nicely!
thank you very much for your help!

1. What is the equation for the period of a pendulum?

The equation for the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is the equation for the period of a pendulum derived?

The equation for the period of a pendulum can be derived using the principles of simple harmonic motion and the laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law.

3. Does the equation for the period of a pendulum depend on the mass of the pendulum bob?

No, the equation for the period of a pendulum is independent of the mass of the pendulum bob. It only depends on the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the predicted period using the equation for a pendulum?

The accuracy of the predicted period using the equation for a pendulum can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the amplitude of the swing, and the precision of the measurements of length and time.

5. Is the equation for the period of a pendulum applicable to all types of pendulums?

No, the equation for the period of a pendulum is specifically for simple pendulums, where the pendulum bob is a point mass and the swing is small. Other types of pendulums, such as compound and physical pendulums, have different equations for their periods.