Reported someone I suspected of cheating during an exam.

In summary: It's possible that the person telling on the cheater may have selfish reasons, such as wanting to maintain the integrity of the exam and not wanting to be associated with cheating. However, it's also possible that they have genuine moral concerns about cheating and want to uphold the values of honesty and fairness. Ultimately, it's up to the individual to determine their own motivations for speaking up.
General_Sax said:
Well it was an all multiple choice test, so a small piece of paper could be used to cheat quite easily,eg, ABCADBD...

How would he go to get the paper? Get out of his desk and pick it up? At this point the TA was observing them actively, so it would have just raised suspiscon. In fact as I left the exam he was standing 4 "desks" away from us, looking directly in our direction.

Witnessing people passing things amongst themselves during an exam is about as close to knowing that people are cheating as I can imagine; and if they weren't cheating, then they're acting incredibly foolish.

If you saw two people whispering during an exam, would you have to clearly hear them to report them?

If you saw a person looking at another's exam, would you have to draw a ray diagram between their eyes and the exam?

I don't know if I'll ever find out whether or not he was definitively cheating. I guess if I see him in classes next term, I'll know he wasn't cheating.

Beginning to doubt yourself?

Physics news on Phys.org
"What's more worse:
cheating
or
false allegations"

I didn't make any false allegations. I alleged that they were passing notes between them, and they claim that it was a Life Saver. Regardless, they were passing something between themselves, and they affirmed my accusation.

"Beginning to doubt yourself?"

I'm not under the illusion that I'm infallible, I could be wrong, maybe they weren't cheating.

rootX said:
What's more worse:
cheating
or
false allegations

Sorry, but I have to give this answer: incorrect use of "more"
You don't need a "more" with worse, because worse means "more bad".

Grammar Commie, away!

(note: depends on what the false allegations are of, and besides, the OP alleged nothing. He told the TA what he thought he saw.

Moonbear said:
I've had others that I've called into my office and shown them their responses on a quiz after they sat next to each other. It was only a small quiz, so not worth the hassle of pursuing disciplinary action anyway. I just pointed out to them that their wrong answers were suspiciously similar and pretty uncommon ways of answering that particular question, let them know that I couldn't really prove anything dishonest had happened, and it could be innocent because they were friends and studied together, but if it wasn't, they needed to work it out amongst themselves if they hadn't both been aware that one of them was borrowing answers. I then told them that they should just voluntarily choose never to sit next to each other during another exam or quiz so there was no reason for me to ever suspect they were sharing answers again.

Doing that in your office is a good idea.

My high school Physics teacher basically accused me and a couple other guys at my table of cheating because our answers were suspciously similar. The problem is that this was a first period class, he assigned seats in the class alphabetically, and homeroom assignments were made alphabetically. Three of us were in the same homeroom and would study together before our Physics test (the fourth was a senior, while we were juniors, so he had a different home room).

Not only did we resent him making those kind of implications in public, but it also cruelly raised our hopes about how well we did. Surely he wouldn't suspect us of cheating if we did badly. However, guys getting the same wrong answers using the same stupid methods winds up being more suspicious than if we'd all gotten the right answers using the correct methods. His implications just made our D's even more depressing.

We did finally quit studying together. Not because of the Physic's teacher's comments, but because we just didn't work very well together. You would think that if one of us had a really stupid idea, the other two could set him straight. Instead, if one of us had a really stupid idea, you can bet he'd convince the other two he was right. Working together must have reduced our IQs by at least 15 points.

Let me ask you something, what exactly was the point of this thread? "Did I do the right thing, or should I have kept my mouth shut?" That question seems to be the point of the thread, but in reality it seems as if you are just hoping for somebody to re-assure you and those who don't you just get defensive and explain why you were justfied in doing what you did, so you either do feel justified 100% in what you did, or you don't but you don't listen to other's advice ?? As far as actual advice goes, I simply wouldn't care enough to tell on somebody, if they're cheating, whatever, they won't learn the material for real and one day in life it'll bite them in their ***. Finally, no offense, but I doubt you have been on the "wrong side of the tracks" plenty of times, because if you have been, I doubt you would give this much **** about somebody cheating on an intro physics exam that they're probably taking just to get as a requirement for their major.

Let me ask you something, what exactly was the point of this thread?

TBH, I'm on Christmas break, and I like to argue.

Finally, no offense, but I doubt you have been on the "wrong side of the tracks" plenty of times, because if you have been, I doubt you would give this much **** about somebody cheating on an intro physics exam that they're probably taking just to get as a requirement for their major.

That's okay, I think it gives me the right to **** so much, because I know of all the work I've put in.

General_Sax said:
That's okay, I think it gives me the right to **** so much, because I know of all the work I've put in.

Are you saying cheating doesn't require work? I've seen some people cheat where it was actually harder to accomplish the cheating than it was to study and ace the test.

Sorry! said:
Are you saying cheating doesn't require work? I've seen some people cheat where it was actually harder to accomplish the cheating than it was to study and ace the test.

Sometimes the easiest way to ace a test is to make a cheat sheet for someone else and sell it to them.

BobG said:
Sometimes the easiest way to ace a test is to make a cheat sheet for someone else and sell it to them.

Lol and then tell the prof. that they were using a cheat sheet but deny all connections. I'm liking this.

General_Sax said:
Let me ask you something, what exactly was the point of this thread?

TBH, I'm on Christmas break, and I like to argue.

Finally, no offense, but I doubt you have been on the "wrong side of the tracks" plenty of times, because if you have been, I doubt you would give this much **** about somebody cheating on an intro physics exam that they're probably taking just to get as a requirement for their major.

The work you've put in is the reward towards your degree. You know you've never cheated in your journey towards that degree and that's what makes your degree legit and special. If somebody cheats during the journey, it's not very legit is it?

The cheater will get what's coming to him. Worry about your own self. If he cheated and was still successful, accept it because that's just how it is. He might be smarter than you in the end but that's because he either learns faster than you or just really worked harder than you. Point is, why do you care so much? Just mind your own business next time. I've learned that doing something legit leaves a better feeling because you played by the rules and still beat it.

The cheater will get what's coming to him.

He got what was coming to him that day.

Yea. I have a learning disability myself, but I have my own ways of dealing with it. I usually wear a thick hoody to conceal earplugs that I wear to dull out the noise as I have super sensitive hearing. But, people always misinterpret that as me being a shady character and often spend more time hovering around my desk which distracts me even more. What I usually do is just sit extremely far away from everyone so that there is no reason for someone to suspect me of trying to look at other people's exams.

I usually wear a thick hoody to conceal earplugs that I wear to dull out the noise as I have super sensitive hearing.

I've been thinking of doing this. Why do you conceal the earplugs?

General_Sax said:
I usually wear a thick hoody to conceal earplugs that I wear to dull out the noise as I have super sensitive hearing.

I've been thinking of doing this. Why do you conceal the earplugs?

I wish to be perceived as normal. I suppose it wouldn't be too weird wearing ear plugs during an exam, but I'm a little too paranoid I guess. I also sometimes wear them in public, so it's sort of a habit.

General_Sax said:
The cheater will get what's coming to him.

He got what was coming to him that day.

In high school, our class valedictorian was caught cheating on a final exam right before graduation. He got what was coming to him. He had to retake the final exam, which he apparently got an A on anyway (or at least a high enough grade his overall grade remained an A).

People do irrational things for dumb reasons. Perhaps the valedictorian had stretched himself just a bit thin, seeing as how he was producing the year book, serving on various committees planning senior activities, etc, and wasn't feeling very confident (it would suck to blow a straight A average your very last week of high school). Or perhaps he was unlucky in finally getting caught.

(This was a very controversial issue at our school, made even bigger by a few disgruntled teachers that suffered a dip in professionalism and let the story leak out. While no single teacher would have ever have just come out and expose the kid, comparing various versions made it practically impossible not to figure out who the kid was. So, in a way, he got was coming to him even if he wasn't penalized grade-wise.)

As amusing as it is to read these threads I think I can see both sides of the argument. A cheater deserves to get caught. If you are caught by a peer or the teacher, you earned the reward regardless. When you decide to cheat a rational person should accept the punishment.

I cheated a few times in High School, but it hurt me in the long run. It didn't help me much when I got to college math I have to admit. I was rightfully terrified of getting kicked out of college so I don't do anything that might create the appearance of cheating.

I think that not telling the teacher out of fear or reprisal from the student or faculty for being a "tattle tail" is a legitimate fear, but shouldn't be the reason you don't tell. I probably wouldn't tell out of total indifference. It would be really amusing to me how bad this guy was at it. I mean he obviously wasn't a very good cheater. Who would throw the cheat sheet on the floor for everyone to see? Who would think that it would be OK to throw the wrapper on the gymnasium floor? This guy probably was doing poorly in the class and wasn't the cheating kind. He couldn't hold a straight face, and he couldn't hide his emotions from the rest of the class.

In your defense, I think that the guy was a experimenting cheater, and probably will never cheat again as a result of your actions. If he had gotten away with it he could have become more comfortable with cheating.

Moonbear, I would be terrified to cheat in your class. It looks like you have made a sport of it.

I think cheating is wrong, and I wouldn't feel comfortable as an engineer who essentially built his career on lies. I want to feel that I earned my degree and be able to offer an honest and knowledgeable opinion when I really start my career.

Pattonias said:
I think cheating is wrong, and I wouldn't feel comfortable as an engineer who essentially built his career on lies. I want to feel that I earned my degree and be able to offer an honest and knowledgeable opinion when I really start my career.

Screw school. An engineer cheating on the job (fudging results that just never seem to come up right, etc) can result in deaths and lawsuits.

BobG said:
Screw school. An engineer cheating on the job (fudging results that just never seem to come up right, etc) can result in deaths and lawsuits.

Exactly, if you are cheating your way through your exams you are purposely impairing your ability to make sound decisions when you become an engineer in the real world.

If I were going to report someone, I'd have to be 100% positive they were cheating. I wouldn't take action based on speculation or suspicion alone.

I'll accept the "tattletale" label from those who wish to defend dishonest behavior.

in my gen chem class the teacher would always leave the room during quizzes or exams. i found this very strange, since its never happened before. on the first exam, everyone started talking, and he reprimanded the whole class. i was kind of thinking, that he couldn't blame them for cheating if he left the rooms. anyway no one cheated ever again so it worked. he said in some schools teachers are not permitted to be in the rooms during exams due to the honor sysems.

I'll accept the "tattletale" label from those who wish to defend dishonest behavior.

I'm a mature student, so I don't know my fellow student's personally. So I'm not too concerned with social labels.

If they defend dishonest behavior, then I don't care what they say about me at all.

I'll admit, it'll be embarrassing if I ever learn that he wasn't cheating.

Not too embarrassed though. I don't believe I'd be at fault for suspecting him of cheating, given the circumstances.

Who would throw the cheat sheet on the floor for everyone to see?

I know. If he had just held on to the paper, there would've been no way to confirm whether he was cheating or not, barring a physical search.

I personally don't care whether someone else is cheating in the room or even if I see them doing it. (I have witnessed it numerous times) The reasoning behind this is that I think it's more productive to worry about doing well on your own exam rather than worrying about what other people around you are doing. It diminishes your own concentration and what they are doing (or not doing) doesn't affect your grade at all. (whilst wondering if someone else is cheating and whether or not you should report them, might) The only exception to this would be if someone was trying cheat off my exam. This would warrant action on my part.

^

Maybe I don't understand grade curving.

If the course is 'curved', then how could cheating not affect my grade?

Ohnoes!

I don't know the point of this thread anymore. The OP seems to be about asking whether the right or wrong thing was done. When the answer was you should have kept your mouth shut and why you should have done so, then the follow up response is a justification for the actions taken. Seems the point of this thread has become to clear the guilty conscious of the OP.

General_Sax said:
^

Maybe I don't understand grade curving.

If the course is 'curved', then how could cheating not affect my grade?

Ok you want to be vindicated.
"Well done General Sax, you did the right thing calling attention to a potential infraction to exam rules and regulations, exposing an alleged cheater and thus possibly saving everyone's grades."

There, feel better?

Can we drop the subject now.

Pattonias said:
Exactly, if you are cheating your way through your exams you are purposely impairing your ability to make sound decisions when you become an engineer in the real world.

I agree, correct me if I am wrong though, don't you think that with that the chances that someone fresh out of school is going to design a work ready bridge without any review is very realistic? My decision of take a bridge or a long away around depends on it. I would expect a pretty rigorous method to insure safety by real engineers. I doubt a cheater could fool someone unless he was intelligent in the first place. Then again a person that smart wouldn't cheat, they would see that there is no long term solution to it and just go at it the standard way, and actually learn it.

I am swaying towards academic institutions laziness to evolve. I personally never saw cheating as advantageous for that reason, Like Duct taping a leaky facet...You have to fix it eventually. Where is the innovation in school though? People will cheat regardless, it's like drugs. You throw information at someone, and you hope if they can answer a couple of questions with an acceptable level of correctness that they are competent. People want things, they have needs. Some people are willing to take risks.

Why not test people in different ways. They have the resources, they can conduct tests, Isn't this the next step in advancing society? Seems like everyone is more concerned with short term issues, where we go in circles.

I guess that is another subject though.

Virtuous said:
I
Why not test people in different ways. They have the resources, they can conduct tests, Isn't this the next step in advancing society? Seems like everyone is more concerned with short term issues, where we go in circles.

What are those different ways?

<h2>1. What happens to the person I reported for cheating during an exam?</h2><p>It depends on the policies of the institution where the exam took place. The person may face consequences such as failing the exam, receiving a warning or suspension, or being expelled from the institution.</p><h2>2. How will the institution investigate the reported cheating?</h2><p>The institution will typically gather evidence, such as witness statements and any physical evidence, and may also conduct interviews with the person who was reported and the person who made the report. They will then make a decision based on the evidence gathered.</p><h2>3. What should I do if I am falsely accused of cheating?</h2><p>If you believe you have been falsely accused of cheating, you should gather any evidence that can support your innocence, such as notes or study materials. You should also be prepared to explain your actions during the exam and provide any witnesses who can support your case.</p><h2>4. Can I remain anonymous when reporting someone for cheating during an exam?</h2><p>It depends on the policies of the institution. Some institutions may allow anonymous reporting, while others may require the person making the report to identify themselves. It is important to follow the institution's guidelines when reporting suspected cheating.</p><h2>5. Will reporting someone for cheating affect my own academic record?</h2><p>Reporting someone for cheating should not affect your own academic record, as long as you are not involved in the cheating. However, it is important to follow the institution's guidelines for reporting and to provide accurate information to avoid any potential consequences.</p>

1. What happens to the person I reported for cheating during an exam?

It depends on the policies of the institution where the exam took place. The person may face consequences such as failing the exam, receiving a warning or suspension, or being expelled from the institution.

2. How will the institution investigate the reported cheating?

The institution will typically gather evidence, such as witness statements and any physical evidence, and may also conduct interviews with the person who was reported and the person who made the report. They will then make a decision based on the evidence gathered.

3. What should I do if I am falsely accused of cheating?

If you believe you have been falsely accused of cheating, you should gather any evidence that can support your innocence, such as notes or study materials. You should also be prepared to explain your actions during the exam and provide any witnesses who can support your case.

4. Can I remain anonymous when reporting someone for cheating during an exam?

It depends on the policies of the institution. Some institutions may allow anonymous reporting, while others may require the person making the report to identify themselves. It is important to follow the institution's guidelines when reporting suspected cheating.

5. Will reporting someone for cheating affect my own academic record?

Reporting someone for cheating should not affect your own academic record, as long as you are not involved in the cheating. However, it is important to follow the institution's guidelines for reporting and to provide accurate information to avoid any potential consequences.