New introductory book on supersymmetry

In summary: I do have students who need to learn SUSY, though. I'd spare them the "Triale By Fiere!" that is Wess&Bagger! :wink:
nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I hope it's ok to post this here.

I have written an introductory book on supersymmetry, which assumes only some basic knowledge in quantum field theory. I made it as detailed and pedagogical as possible. Basically I wrote the book that I wish had been available when I first learned SUSY. The title is Supersymmetry Demystified.

You can view a detailed Table of contents (giving all the sections) at

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071636412/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Just click on "Read More" in the blog entry.

Patrick

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try posting the link again - it gives a 404 error for me.

I believe is the link. I've been thoroughly impressed with the quality of the demystified series, especially with respect to theoretical physics, hopefully this will be a great addition.

Congrats, Patrick!

I am going to order a copy.

nicksauce said:
Try posting the link again - it gives a 404 error for me.

Oh. Sorry about that.

The URL is

In the blog entry I give all the sections and their page number.

Cheers

Pat

naele said:

I believe is the link. I've been thoroughly impressed with the quality of the demystified series, especially with respect to theoretical physics, hopefully this will be a great addition.

To be honest, I have mixed feelings about some books in the series. But I am glad you enjoyed them.

George Jones said:
Congrats, Patrick!

I am going to order a copy.

Hey! Thank you, George.

I am glad to know that you found a position in Canada! (By the way, you might remember me from your time at Bishop's!)

Patrick

I found a copy at the local Borders and started reading it. On my own, I found the two errata mentioned in the blog, so when I read about them in the blog, I felt pretty good about it. I found another insignificant typo and a statement worthy of comment. I will write these up when I get further along. I read enough to decide that I wanted to read the entire book, so I bought it. My daughter works there as a barista, so I got a good discount.

jimmysnyder said:
I found a copy at the local Borders and started reading it. On my own, I found the two errata mentioned in the blog, so when I read about them in the blog, I felt pretty good about it. I found another insignificant typo and a statement worthy of comment. I will write these up when I get further along. I read enough to decide that I wanted to read the entire book, so I bought it. My daughter works there as a barista, so I got a good discount.

Thank you for your input and for getting the book :-)
I am glad to know that it's available at Borders.

You are lucky to be able to get discounts at Borders!

Patrick

congrats on the new book. i'll keep an eye out for it.

Congrats, Patrick. That is a good series of books, and I'll keep my eyes out for yours.

Now we wait for books by George Jones, blechman and others. :biggrin: :approve:

blechman said:
congrats on the new book. i'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks! But it is far too introductory to be of any intereste to you. My goal was to offer a gentle introduction, assuming only some basic quantum field theory as background. A kind of bridge between, say, Peskin and Schroeder and available books on SUSY such as the ones by Weinberg, Baer and Tata, Dine, Binétruy, etc.
So it is far too simple to be of any interest to you! So you should not buy it.
But thanks for the congratulations!

nrqed said:
Thanks! But it is far too introductory to be of any intereste to you. My goal was to offer a gentle introduction, assuming only some basic quantum field theory as background. A kind of bridge between, say, Peskin and Schroeder and available books on SUSY such as the ones by Weinberg, Baer and Tata, Dine, Binétruy, etc.
So it is far too simple to be of any interest to you! So you should not buy it.
But thanks for the congratulations!

My adviser once told me (and his adviser told him) that "how much you know about something is inversely proportional to the number of textbooks you have on the subject!" That being said, you'd probably be shocked at how many SUSY books I own!

I do have students who need to learn SUSY, though. I'd spare them the "Triale By Fiere!" that is Wess&Bagger! :wink:

1. What is supersymmetry?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical framework in particle physics that proposes a symmetry between fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and bosons (particles with integer spin). It is a mathematical extension of the Standard Model of particle physics that aims to solve certain theoretical problems and provide a more elegant explanation for the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

2. Why is supersymmetry important?

Supersymmetry is important because it has the potential to unify the fundamental forces of nature and provide a more complete understanding of the universe. It also predicts the existence of new particles, such as the neutralino, which could help explain the mystery of dark matter.

3. What is the evidence for supersymmetry?

So far, there is no direct experimental evidence for supersymmetry. However, there are some indirect hints, such as the fact that the masses of the known particles seem to be fine-tuned to allow for a stable universe, which is predicted by supersymmetry. Additionally, some experiments at the Large Hadron Collider have seen some possible hints of supersymmetric particles, but more data is needed to confirm these findings.

4. How does supersymmetry relate to string theory?

Supersymmetry is a key aspect of string theory, which is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all the fundamental forces of nature, including gravity. In string theory, the particles we observe in the universe are vibrations of tiny, one-dimensional strings, and supersymmetry is necessary for the consistency of this theory.

5. Who is this introductory book on supersymmetry intended for?

This introductory book on supersymmetry is intended for undergraduate and graduate students in physics and anyone with a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and particle physics who is interested in learning about this important theoretical framework. It assumes no prior knowledge of supersymmetry and includes clear explanations and examples to help readers grasp the concepts presented.