What is the optimal frequency for a forced damped oscillator?

In summary, the problem involves finding the frequency that gives the maximum amplitude response for a forced damped oscillator. The amplitude can be found by taking the square root of the sum of squared parameters in the general solution. To maximize the values of these parameters, the frequency must be modified. The method of undetermined coefficients can be used to solve the problem, with the general solution of the homogenous equation being e^{-3t}(C_1*cos(6t) + C_2*sin(6t)). The particular solution can be found by setting up equations and isolating the common terms. The solutions for A and B may seem ridiculous, but upon further analysis, they are found to be correct.
gpax42

Homework Statement

Find the frequency that gives the maximum amplitude response for the forced damped oscillator d[tex]^{2}[/tex]x/dt[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 6dx/dt + 45x = 50cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t)

Homework Equations

I'm really confused by this problem, but I know that the amplitude can be found by taking the [tex]\sqrt{c_{1}^2+c_{2}^2}[/tex] with c[tex]_{1}[/tex] and c[tex]_{2}[/tex] being parameters of the general solution...

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose I want to maximize my c[tex]_{1}[/tex] and c[tex]_{2}[/tex] values. And this can be done by modifying the value of [tex]\omega[/tex]. So, my only guess as to how I could solve this problem is through manipulation of the Method of Undetermined Coefficients, and see for what values of [tex]\omega[/tex] my c[tex]_{1}[/tex] and c[tex]_{2}[/tex] become largest...

If anyone could offer me any suggestions involving different strategies for solving this problem, i would greatly appreciate it

the superscripts above some of my "c" parameters should be subscripts, I'm not sure why they keep getting turned into superscripts, sorry =(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi gpax42! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

What do you have as the general solution for the full equation (ie, including ω)?

thats my first gray area... I am fine with the general solution of the homogenous equation, but I can't use the method of undetermined coefficients to solve the full equation seeing that [tex]\omega[/tex] isn't a constant

the general solution for the homogenous part is e[tex]^{-3t}[/tex](C_1*cos(6t) + C_2*sin(6t))

(what happened to that ω i gave you? :confused: and try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes, your general solutiuon is correct. :smile:

Now look for a particular solution of the form Acosωt + Bsinωt. :wink:

(and ω is constant … it's a constant you can choose, but once you choose it it's constant)

taking that trial solution and its respective first and second derivatives and plugging those back into the original oscillation equation i get...

-ω[tex]^{2}[/tex]Acos(ωt)-ω[tex]^{2}[/tex]Bsin(ωt)-ω6Asin(ωt)+ω6Bcos(ωt)+45Acos(ωt)+45Bsin(ωt) = 50cos(ωt)

when i isolate out the common terms I'm left with the equations...

-ω[tex]^{2}[/tex]A+6ωB+45A = 50

-ω[tex]^{2}[/tex]B-6ωA+45B = 0

I then tried solving or A and B in terms of ω but got ridiculous solutions.
Is it simply supposed to be A = 50/45 = 10/9 and B = 0

which would give me a particular solution of

[tex]\frac{10}{9}[/tex]cos(ωt) ?

Hi gpax42! :smile:
gpax42 said:
-ω[tex]^{2}[/tex]A+6ωB+45A = 50

-ω[tex]^{2}[/tex]B-6ωA+45B = 0

I then tried solving or A and B in terms of ω but got ridiculous solutions.

Yes, the solution for A and B is pretty horrible …

but if you look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damped_harmonic_oscillator#Sinusoidal_driving_force",

you'll find that Zm2 = ((45 - ω2)2 + 36ω2)/ω2,

which is the denominator of A and B …

so I think it is correct. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhh, i understand the problem completely now :smile:... thank you very much for all your help tiny tim!

What is a forced damped oscillator?

A forced damped oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory motion, where the amplitude of the motion decreases over time due to the presence of a damping force. It is also subject to an external periodic force, known as the driving force, which causes the system to oscillate at a specific frequency.

How does damping affect the behavior of a forced damped oscillator?

Damping is a force that opposes the motion of the oscillator, causing it to lose energy and decrease in amplitude over time. This results in the oscillator reaching a state of equilibrium, where the amplitude of oscillation is constant. The amount of damping present in the system determines the rate at which the amplitude decreases.

What is the role of the driving force in a forced damped oscillator?

The driving force is a periodic external force that is applied to the oscillator, causing it to oscillate at a specific frequency. This force is essential in maintaining the motion of the oscillator, as without it, the damping force would eventually stop the oscillations altogether.

How do you calculate the natural frequency of a forced damped oscillator?

The natural frequency of a forced damped oscillator is determined by the mass and stiffness of the system, as well as the amount of damping present. It can be calculated using the formula: ω = √(k/m - (ζ/2)^2), where ω is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant, m is the mass, and ζ is the damping ratio.

What are some real-world applications of forced damped oscillators?

Forced damped oscillators can be found in various systems such as clocks, musical instruments, and even bridges. They are also used in mechanical engineering for shock absorbers and vibration control systems. In electrical engineering, forced damped oscillators are used in electronic circuits and antennas to maintain a specific frequency.