Help simplifying a solution to a differential equation

In summary: I appreciate the help.In summary, the following differential equation has two solutions for y when x is held constant, y=a*x+b*x2 or y=c*x+d*x2.
Raziel2701
So I'm in the process of solving the following differential equation:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=2y^2 +xy^2[/tex]

with initial condition y(0)=1

I worked it out until I got to the following equation:

[tex]y^2 +y =x^2 -4[/tex]

So now my problem is that I can't isolate y as a function of x in order to move on with the problem and determine where the solution attains its minimum value.

I've tried completing the square and I noticed that the RHS(right hand side) is a difference of squares and I expanded that out but I have no clue how to isolate that y. Now I'm tired and desolate, and I'd like to be pointed back on the right direction.

It's frustrating to be thwarted by algebraic manipulations. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
so i could be totally wrong on this, I'm here myself to get help with simple differential equations, but here goes:

so you have

dy/dx = 2y2 + x*y2, with y(0) = 1

try factoring it as dy/dx = y2 ( 2 + x)
then you separate the variables.
does that help?

p.s. could you maybe show how you got "the following equation"? i have no idea where you got that. i think you may have made a mistake, but like i said, I'm here for help myself.

Last edited:
I agree with bennyska. I get a completely different solution that you do. Please show us how you got that.

Man I got mixed up. The original differential equation is:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2x}{1+2y}[/tex] with initial condition y(2)= 0

I've been working on this mountain load of homework last night that I got my equations all wrong, I'm sorry.

So with that in mind, after I separate and integrate I get:

[tex]y^2 +y=x^2-4[/tex]

Now I'd like to know how to isolate y, because I haven't been able to, I am not sure what I have to expand or what. I'm just, nonplussed.

Raziel2701 said:
Man I got mixed up. The original differential equation is:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{2x}{1+2y}[/tex] with initial condition y(2)= 0

I've been working on this mountain load of homework last night that I got my equations all wrong, I'm sorry.

So with that in mind, after I separate and integrate I get:

[tex]y^2 +y=x^2-4[/tex]

Now I'd like to know how to isolate y, because I haven't been able to, I am not sure what I have to expand or what. I'm just, nonplussed.

Again, not sure what you did to get that answer. Where did the -4 come from on the dx side?

You should separate [tex]2xdx = (1+2y)dy[/tex]

Yes I separated like you did and integrated, obtaining:

[tex]y+y^2=x^2 +c[/tex]

The initial condition is y(2) = 0, the one I posted in my first post is from a different problem I got mixed in. Thus plugging 2 for x, and 0 for all y, I get that c=-4, which I then substitute into the equation we have so far and I get:

[tex]y+y^2=x^2 -4[/tex]

Which I've tried to manipulate to isolate y, but have been unsuccessful so far.

Write your equation as y2 + y - x2 + 4 = 0.

This is quadratic in y, with a = 1, b = 1, and c = 4 - x2. Just plug these into the quadratic formula to get two solutions for y(x).

I was never taught I could do this kind of stuff with the quadratic equation. I feel ripped off :p

Thanks Mark44!

1. How do I know if a differential equation can be simplified?

Differential equations can be simplified if they can be written in a form that is easier to solve or understand. This usually involves reducing the number of variables, separating the variables, or applying specific techniques such as substitution or integration.

2. What are some common techniques for simplifying a differential equation?

Some common techniques for simplifying a differential equation include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas such as the power rule or product rule for integration. It may also involve reducing the number of variables by making assumptions or using known relationships between the variables.

3. Can simplifying a differential equation change its solution?

Yes, simplifying a differential equation may change its solution. This is because simplification often involves manipulating the equation in a way that changes the original form and may alter the initial conditions or assumptions. It is important to check the solution after simplification to ensure its validity.

4. Are there any software programs or tools that can help with simplifying a differential equation?

Yes, there are various software programs and tools available that can help with simplifying a differential equation. Some commonly used programs include MATLAB, Wolfram Alpha, and Maple. These programs have built-in functions and solvers that can simplify and solve differential equations numerically or symbolically.

5. Is it always necessary to simplify a differential equation?

No, it is not always necessary to simplify a differential equation. In some cases, the original form of the equation may be easier to work with or provide a more accurate solution. Simplification is usually done to make the equation more manageable or to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts.