Basic high school algebra, with physics

In summary, the problem involves a head-on collision between a massless photon and a stationary free electron. By using conservation of energy and momentum, the momentum of the photon after the collision can be found. The equation for energy conservation is p_{0}c+mc^2=pc+\sqrt{(p_ec)^2+m^2c^4}, and the equation for momentum conservation is po=p-p. By substituting the momentum conservation equation into the energy conservation equation and solving for p, the momentum of the photon can be determined.
forrealfyziks
"basic high school" algebra, with physics

Homework Statement

Consider a head-on, elastic collision between a massless photon (momentum po and energy Eo) and a stationary free electron. (a) Assuming that the photon bounces directly back with momentum p (in the direction of -po) and energy E, use conservation of energy and momentum to find p.

Homework Equations

E=[tex]\gamma[/tex]mc2
p=[tex]\gamma[/tex]mu
massless: E=pc
rest mass: E=mc2
E2=(pc)2+(mc2)2
v/c=pc/E
[tex]\gamma[/tex]=1/[tex]\sqrt{1+(v/c)^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Note:First of all I know that this is relativity, but it boils down to just plain algebra. I can't figure it out and help is hard to find, so if you can help I would really appreciate it.

I assume that p is the momentum of the electron. m=mass of the electron u=velocity of the electron c=speed of light

conserving energy: poc+mc2=pc+[tex]\gamma[/tex]mc2
po+mc=p+[tex]\gamma[/tex]mc
po=p+[tex]\gamma[/tex]mc-mc

conserving momentum: po=p-p=[tex]\gamma[/tex]mu-p

Plugging the result I got in conserving energy into the momentum equation:
p-p=p+[tex]\gamma[/tex]mc-mc
p=2p+mc([tex]\gamma[/tex]-1)

Physics news on Phys.org

The problem with the last line is that gamma has the speed of the electron (an unknown quantity) buried in it. Forget gamma. Write the energy conservation equation as

[tex]p_{0}c+mc^2=pc+\sqrt{(p_ec)^2+m^2c^4}[/tex]

where pe is the final momentum of the electron.

Use the momentum conservation equation to replace pe with what it is equal to, then solve for p.

1. What is the difference between algebra and physics?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of symbols and equations using rules and operations. Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. While algebra is a tool used to solve mathematical problems, physics uses mathematical principles to understand and explain the physical world.

2. How important is algebra in understanding physics?

Algebra is crucial in understanding physics as it helps us to express physical phenomena in mathematical terms. By using algebra, we can represent and solve complex equations that describe the behavior of physical systems. Without a strong foundation in algebra, it can be challenging to grasp the concepts and equations used in physics.

3. Can I study physics without a strong background in algebra?

While it is possible to study physics without a strong background in algebra, it can be challenging to understand and apply the mathematical concepts used in physics. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of basic algebra before delving into the more complex equations and principles of physics.

4. How is algebra used in physics?

Algebra is used extensively in physics to solve equations, manipulate formulas, and analyze data. It helps us to understand the relationships between different variables and predict the behavior of physical systems. In many cases, algebra is used to simplify complex equations and make them more manageable to solve.

5. What are some real-world applications of algebra and physics?

Algebra and physics have numerous real-world applications, such as designing structures, predicting the motion of objects, and understanding the behavior of electrical circuits. They are also essential in fields like engineering, astronomy, and medicine. Many technological advancements, such as computers and smartphones, would not be possible without the principles of algebra and physics.