How to prove uniqueness (or non-uniqueness) of solution

• Thread starter JustinLevy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uniqueness
In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions for the fields in a finite region of space with given boundary conditions, using Maxwell's equations in vacuum. One solution is when both E and B are zero everywhere, but the question asks if this solution is unique. Another solution is proposed using cylindrical coordinates, where the E field has no divergence and the B field has r and z components that do not depend on time. The question is raised if this solution is correct and if a non-analytic function for f(r) presents a problem.
JustinLevy
I've only learned differential equations for use in physics, and never took a rigorous math course on all their amazing features. So I'm hoping someone can teach me a bit here, in the context of this question:

Consider Maxwell's equations in vacuum, units don't matter here so I'll get rid of all constants:
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{B} = 0[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \times \vec{E} = - \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \vec{B}[/tex]
[tex]\nabla \times \vec{B} = \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \vec{E}[/tex]

Now consider a finite region of space, with the boundary condition that the fields and their derivatives are zero on the boundary at time 0<=t<T. What solutions are there for the fields in the region during this time?

One obvious solution is: E=0, B=0 everywhere.

Is this question well posed enough to prove that this solution is unique?
If so, how? If not, what is missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I came up with another solution.

If we define, at t=0, an E field with no divergence, and let B=0. Then I can use Maxwell's equations to evolve the time dependence, right? So the problem is reduced to finding a finite volume E field with no divergence, which I don't see why that is a problem.

Using cylindrical coordinates, I can define:
[tex]\mathbf{E}(t_0) = \hat{\phi} f(r)g(z)[/tex]
This field has no divergence.

Now looking at the time dependence
[tex] -\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} = -\hat{r} f(r) \frac{\partial}{\partial z}g(z) + \hat{z} \frac{1}{r} g(z) \frac{\partial}{\partial}[r f(r)] [/tex]
So B will have r and z components. But these components only depend r and z. So the curl of B will only have
[tex] \frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t} = \nabla \times \mathbf{B} = \hat{\phi}(\frac{\partial B_r}{\partial z}- \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial r})[/tex]
So E will remain in the phi direction, and so on for all time.

This is true for any function f(r) and g(z). So I can just choose a solution initially confined enough that it doesn't have time to propagate to the boundary.

Does this look correct?
To do this I'd need f(r) to be non-analytic (since it needs to be identically zero for a region of r). Is that somehow a problem?

Last edited:

1. How do you prove uniqueness of a solution?

To prove uniqueness of a solution, you must show that there is only one possible solution to the given problem. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as contradiction, induction, or the use of specific theorems and equations. It is also important to carefully define the problem and clearly state any assumptions made.

2. What is the difference between uniqueness and non-uniqueness of a solution?

Uniqueness of a solution means that there is only one possible answer to a given problem, while non-uniqueness means that there are multiple possible solutions. This can often depend on the specific conditions or constraints of the problem.

3. Can a solution be both unique and non-unique?

No, a solution cannot be both unique and non-unique. It can only be one or the other. However, a problem may have multiple unique solutions, making them non-unique in relation to each other.

4. What are some common methods for proving non-uniqueness of a solution?

Some common methods for proving non-uniqueness of a solution include showing that the problem has multiple solutions that satisfy all constraints, providing a counterexample to the uniqueness of the solution, or using symmetry arguments to demonstrate multiple solutions.

5. Why is it important to prove uniqueness (or non-uniqueness) of a solution?

Proving uniqueness (or non-uniqueness) of a solution is important because it helps in understanding the nature of the problem and its possible solutions. It also allows for verification of the solution and helps in determining the best approach to solving the problem. Additionally, proving uniqueness (or non-uniqueness) can also lead to further insights and developments in the field of study.