An amplifier that won't amplify

• Thread starter lucy_b14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplifier
In summary, the conversation discusses troubleshooting an issue with a non-inverting dc amplifier using a 741 op-amp. The expected gain is 11, but the output is jumping to the positive rail and staying there. Suggestions are made to try using a -12V supply and to adjust the resistor values to achieve the desired gain.
lucy_b14
Hi

I've built what is meant to be a non-inverting dc amplifier using a 741 op-amp (shown in attached diagram). Resistor values are: R0A= 470k, R0B= 47k.

I am feeding the op-amp a supply voltage of 12v and an input voltage to the non-inverting input of 0.5v. According to the resistor values I would expect to get a gain of 11, giving an output of about 5.5v.

However, the output is about 11.3v, and will not change with the input voltage; it seems to be jumping to around the +ve rail and just staying there - not a very effective amplifier!

I've tried changing the op-amp, resistors, wires... everything, to no avail. I'm really confused and can't figure out why I can't get such a simple circuit to work.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pre-amp circuit.bmp
    87.6 KB · Views: 601
Engineering news on Phys.org
If I'm not mistaken, 741's are not rail-to-rail op amps. That means it will do funny things if the outputs get close to a rail. I think it will be a problem if the input is close to a rail too. I could be wrong about that last bit though. Try giving it a -12V supply rail on the negative side instead of ground. See if that helps.

Maybe someone else has a better answer. Op amps are not my strong suit.

lucy_b14 said:
Hi

I've built what is meant to be a non-inverting dc amplifier using a 741 op-amp (shown in attached diagram). Resistor values are: R0A= 470k, R0B= 47k.

I am feeding the op-amp a supply voltage of 12v and an input voltage to the non-inverting input of 0.5v. According to the resistor values I would expect to get a gain of 11, giving an output of about 5.5v.

Your gain is not 11 but 57. (560k +10K)/10k

lucy_b14 said:
However, the output is about 11.3v, and will not change with the input voltage; it seems to be jumping to around the +ve rail and just staying there - not a very effective amplifier!

Your output is as positive as it can go.

lucy_b14 said:
I've tried changing the op-amp, resistors, wires... everything, to no avail. I'm really confused and can't figure out why I can't get such a simple circuit to work.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

What is the range of input voltages that the amplifier needs to amplify? What is the corresponding range of output voltages? The (output range)/(input range) should be your gain. The ratio of resistor values R0A:R0B is (Gain-1):1. To get a gain of 11 your resistors should have a ratio of 10:1.

What could be the possible reasons for an amplifier not amplifying?

There could be several reasons for an amplifier not amplifying. It could be due to a faulty power supply, a defective amplifier circuit, malfunctioning input or output connections, or damaged components. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the exact issue before attempting to fix it.

Can a blown fuse cause an amplifier to stop amplifying?

Yes, a blown fuse can cause an amplifier to stop amplifying. A blown fuse is a safety mechanism that protects the amplifier from electrical damage. If the fuse is blown, the amplifier will not receive power, and therefore, will not amplify any sound.

How can I test if my amplifier is working properly?

You can test your amplifier by connecting it to a known working speaker and audio source. If the amplifier still does not amplify, you may need to check the input and output connections, as well as the power supply. If these are all functioning correctly, then the amplifier may need to be repaired or replaced.

Why is my amplifier producing distorted sound?

Distorted sound from an amplifier can be caused by a variety of factors. It could be due to a damaged speaker, incorrect input or output connections, or a faulty amplifier circuit. It is important to check all of these factors to determine the cause of the distortion.

Can I repair an amplifier that won't amplify on my own?

It is possible to repair an amplifier that won't amplify on your own, but it is not recommended unless you have experience and knowledge in electronics repair. Amplifiers can be complex and potentially dangerous to work with, so it is best to seek professional help if you are not familiar with the inner workings of amplifiers.