Finding shear and moment diagrams for a simply supported beam.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach solving a shear and moment diagram problem involving a force hanging off a bracket. It is important to consider the placement of the force and the support reactions at points A and C. One suggestion is to replace the force with an equivalent load at point D and then at point B.
haleystew

Homework Statement

Untitled.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to work shear and moment diagram problems, but I am a little confused as to how to start this one. Does it matter that the force is hanging off the bracket? Can I just continue as if the force was acting directly on the beam, or is there something else I need to do. I know if the force was acting directly on the beam, the support reactions would be P/2 at points A and C.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi haleystew, welcome to PF. To get correct shear and bending moment diagrams, you need to know how load P acts at the arm's connection point with the beam (i.e., point B). This can be accomplished by replacing P with an equivalent load (e.g., force and moment if necessary) at point D, and then at point B. Know what I mean?

1. How do I determine the reactions at the supports of a simply supported beam?

To find the reactions at the supports of a simply supported beam, you can use the equations of equilibrium. Summing the forces in the vertical direction will give you the reaction at each support. For a simply supported beam, these reactions will be equal and opposite.

2. What is the process for drawing shear and moment diagrams for a simply supported beam?

The process for drawing shear and moment diagrams involves determining the reactions at the supports, calculating the shear and moment at each point along the beam, and plotting these values on a graph. The shear diagram will show the shear force at each point and the moment diagram will show the bending moment at each point.

3. How do I determine the shear and moment at a specific point on a simply supported beam?

To determine the shear and moment at a specific point on a simply supported beam, you can use the equations of equilibrium. Summing the forces in the vertical direction will give you the shear force at that point, and summing the moments about a point will give you the bending moment at that point.

4. What is the significance of the shape of the shear and moment diagrams for a simply supported beam?

The shape of the shear and moment diagrams for a simply supported beam can provide important information about the structural integrity of the beam. Changes in the direction of the shear force and the magnitude of the bending moment can indicate areas of potential failure or stress concentration.

5. Can I use the same method to find shear and moment diagrams for other types of beams?

Yes, the method for finding shear and moment diagrams for a simply supported beam can also be applied to other types of beams, such as cantilever beams or beams with multiple supports. However, the equations used to calculate the shear and moment may differ depending on the type of beam and the type of loading.