How Can You Help Elderly Relatives with Computer Use?

In summary, Rhody found a program called "LogMeIn Free" that allows her to remotely access her elderly parent's computer. She was able to sign them in, configure their e-mail, and screen capture their screen. She also found out that the program only lasts for 30 days and she must pay 69.95 $ per year for continued access.
rhody
Gold Member
I am posting this because I am sure there are plenty of other folks out there who have elderly parent's or relative's who want to use a PC, and are not all that savvy with them.

When they run into problems, getting competent help can be expensive, and time consuming, not to mention aggravating trying to get them to explain what is wrong with them over the phone to you.

This is the case with me and my elderly Mom.

I bought a new laptop for her (she being barely computer literate) to replace an old clunky slow one.

Had it shipped to my home, (Windows 7) installed Firefox, Skype, configured her g-mail account, antivirus sw, screen capture sw, etc... then searched for and found free peer to peer sharing software.

I used https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/free/" , I downloaded the client on my PC and the new laptop, ran the client and registered my e-mail and Mom's e-mail with the company.

To use, simply, launch the logmein client, select desktop sharing/send an invitation and send the message.

On the other end, when Mom gets the e-mail she clicks on the accept link, and then I can share her desktop remotely, solving problems, giving instructions over the phone, all while controlling her computer.

It makes things a whole lot easier that way.

You don't have to use the one I choose, there are a bunch of them if you search on "free desktop sharing software".

The way most of them work is similar to what I just described.

In the future, I may have her put a microphone and webcam on her laptop so we can communicate using skype as well.

I cleaned off her desktop icons and left only the ones I want her to use in the toolbar, you do this by right clicking on the desktop and under view, show desktop icons, clear the checkbox. They are still there, but for simplicity sake, hidden for now.

If anyone has any other neat software to suggest for computer illiterates, feel free to post them here.

Good luck...

Rhody... :cool:

2qd7gpj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I sympathize. just be patient, and slow down when you use the mouse, else they'll stop following what you're doing and lose interest.

Or, print this out and scotch tape it the her laptop lid:

http://xkcd.com/627/

Using remote control access to her computer I got her to login to gmail,
select and read messages, hit reply and then send, to send a response, and showed her the basics of how checkbox's work, and how to delete e-mails, and navigate in gmail.

It all seems so trivial, but to someone who has never touched a computer
their whole lives it can be quite intimidating. I showed her if she got stuck in anything
what the backout plan is and how to reboot her laptop, and suggested that she try something new each day.

A work in progress for sure.

Rhody... :approve:

One more thing to consider, the free version only lasts 30 days after that as I just found out it is 69.95 $ per year. I just got the popup this time when I tried to log Mom in.

So free access is only good for 30 days, but I must say in those 30 days the product for the most part worked pretty good.

Rhody...

I appreciate your innovative solution to helping your elderly mother with her computer problems. It's important to think outside the box when it comes to finding solutions for individuals who may not be as familiar with technology. Your use of free desktop sharing software and setting up a simpler desktop for your mother to use are great ideas.

In addition, I would also suggest looking into accessibility options for your mother's laptop. Many operating systems have built-in features that can make it easier for individuals with limited computer skills to use their devices. For example, Windows has a "Ease of Access" center where you can adjust settings such as font size and screen magnification for those with visual impairments. This can make it easier for your mother to navigate and read content on her laptop.

I would also recommend exploring voice recognition software for your mother. This can allow her to control her computer using voice commands, making it easier for her to use without relying solely on the keyboard and mouse. There are many free and paid options available, so it's worth looking into to see if it would be a good fit for your mother.

Overall, your proactive approach to helping your mother with her computer skills is commendable. It's important to continue to explore and utilize technology to improve the quality of life for all individuals, regardless of their level of computer literacy. Keep up the creative problem-solving!

1. How do you define "thinking outside the box"?

"Thinking outside the box" is a term used to describe the act of approaching a problem or idea in a new, unconventional way. It involves breaking away from traditional or expected patterns of thinking and exploring different perspectives to come up with creative solutions.

2. Why is it important to think outside the box?

Thinking outside the box can lead to innovative and unique solutions that may not have been considered before. It also allows for growth and development, both personally and professionally, by challenging our thoughts and expanding our perspectives.

3. Can anyone learn to think outside the box?

Yes, anyone can learn to think outside the box. It involves being open-minded, curious, and willing to explore new ideas and perspectives. It may also require breaking away from traditional or rigid ways of thinking and being comfortable with uncertainty.

4. How can one practice thinking outside the box?

One way to practice thinking outside the box is by intentionally seeking out new experiences, perspectives, and ideas. This can include trying new activities, reading about diverse topics, and engaging in discussions with people from different backgrounds. It also helps to challenge assumptions and ask questions to gain a deeper understanding of a topic.

5. What are some strategies for encouraging or promoting thinking outside the box?

Some strategies for promoting thinking outside the box include creating a diverse and inclusive environment, encouraging open communication and brainstorming, and rewarding creativity and risk-taking. It can also be helpful to provide resources and opportunities for individuals to learn and explore new ideas and perspectives.