Turned my Laptop hard-drive for windows into a external hard drive,

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to access files that are not accessible through a specific login. It is suggested to browse through Windows Explorer or change permissions on the hard drive to gain access. The method of access may vary depending on whether the drive is configured to be "bootable." It is also advised to give full control to the group "everyone" and then manage permissions accordingly.
j-lee00
I can't exess files from my specfic login only the public files e.g. files that were on my desktop. Any ideas?

Cheers

Computer science news on Phys.org
There are ways to do this, but the method depends on several things.
In many cases, you can access the files simply by browsing through Windows Explorer(not Internet Explorer) which should show all non-hidden files. If encryption was used there are ways to access it.

Remember, as now an external drive that I assume is not configured to be "bootable" you will not have a login screen for that drive. The info is still there, but the method of access is different.

pallidin said:
There are ways to do this.

What are these ways?

Because when I try to acess my files under my login name, windows says access denied.
It is not set as a bootable

You have to change the permissions on each drive if you're going to use hard drives across systems. The "access denied" occurs because your laptop user has access to the folders, but your user on your other computer doesn't.

You need to boot from the laptop hard disk, right click on the folder, look for properties and then security. You'll want to give the group everyone full control. Then you can reboot from your other hard drive and give your user permission. Then take away full control to everyone and manage them from there.

Hopefully you have a way to plug your laptop drive back into your laptop.

for reaching out! It sounds like you have successfully turned your laptop hard drive into an external hard drive, which can be a useful way to access files from a previous computer. However, it seems like you are having trouble accessing files from your specific login, and are only able to see public files such as the ones on your desktop. This could be due to permissions settings on your previous computer, or potentially a formatting issue with the external hard drive. I would recommend checking the permissions settings on your previous computer to ensure that your specific login has access to all the files you need. If that doesn't work, you may need to reformat the external hard drive to ensure compatibility with your current computer. I hope this helps and good luck with accessing your files!

What is an external hard drive?

An external hard drive is a portable storage device that can be connected to a computer via a USB or other cable. It allows users to store and access files and data without having to use the computer's internal hard drive.

How do I turn my laptop hard drive for Windows into an external hard drive?

You can turn your laptop hard drive into an external hard drive by purchasing an external hard drive enclosure, which is a case that allows you to connect your laptop hard drive to a computer using a USB or other cable. Simply remove the hard drive from your laptop and place it into the enclosure, then connect it to your computer.

Why would I want to turn my laptop hard drive into an external hard drive?

There are several reasons why someone might want to do this. It can be a cost-effective way to expand storage space without having to purchase a new external hard drive. It also allows you to access files from your old laptop even if it is no longer functional. Additionally, using an external hard drive can help protect your data in case of hardware failure on your laptop.

Are there any risks involved with turning my laptop hard drive into an external hard drive?

There are minimal risks involved, but it is important to ensure that your hard drive is properly connected to the external enclosure to avoid any data loss. It is also important to handle the hard drive with care to prevent any physical damage.

Can I still use my laptop hard drive as an external hard drive even if it has a Windows operating system installed?

Yes, you can still use your laptop hard drive as an external hard drive even if it has a Windows operating system installed. The operating system will not affect its functionality as an external storage device.